Trusted Contributor
@sunshine45
Who "hangs out" with a fragrance? It was such awkward and unusual wording.
That said, who remembers what method of suicide a person used? I would say 99 percent of Ulta buyers don't, so maybe it was her family or her estate that complained.
Honored Contributor

Re: Ulta Kate Spade email

[ Edited ]

Probably someone's idea of a sick joke that was sent out by mistake 😕

Honored Contributor

I'm not just an Ulta buyer, but have purchased many Kate Spade products over the years.  There was a store in my town. My daughter and I shopped there often.  We always enjoyed looking at her designs.  Didn't buy every visit, but we often did. 

I haven't forgotten how she died.  I can't even begin to think how hurtful that email was to her family, friends, and former business associates. 

Respected Contributor

@september I too received the Ulta ad but my brain must have been on vacation when I read it.  For whatever reason, this did not register with me when I initially read this.  Not until they issued the apology did I reflect on the manner of her death.  It is good that they stepped up and acknowledged the poor choice of words for this perfume ad.

Honored Contributor

I got the email this morning, I knew Kate Spade committed suicide but didn't remember how. It's ridiculous to say come hang with Kate, she's deceased, was she going to be there as a hologram?!

Super Contributor

Nice of them to acknowledge and apologize? Yeah, I guess. I don't really think they had a choice though. I got the "hang with KS" email about 7pm yesterday and the apology email about 3pm today. By that time, it appeared to be all over the internet (fans are upset with ulta, etc.).

Honored Contributor

As someone said to me today "we ALL make mistakes."

Trusted Contributor

I received that email as well.  I never opened it, but I did read the heading.

I thought it was incredibly inappropriate.  However, I didn't think of how she died when I read it (I had forgotten that part).  I thought it was inappropriate because it said to "come hang" with Kate Spade as if she were still alive and it implied that people could be hanging out with her.  I thought it was ridiculous to imply something like that since she had passed away.

The real story behind that title is actually shocking.  What a horrible mistake for such a large company to make.  Yikes.

Esteemed Contributor

A dark part of my mind wonders if this was for publicity.  They did certain achieved that.

Trusted Contributor
KoKtoo I wondered the same thing. I mean how many hands and approvals go through an ad before it's publicized? Hard to believe that not one person noticed? No way.