Honored Contributor

Wasn't sure which forum was appropriate for this, since Kate's business incorporated beauty, jewelry, fashion, accessories, and more.  So community seems the best place. 

This morning, Ulta sent out an email titled "come hang with Kate Spade". For those who aren't aware, she ended her life by hanging herself.  

Ulta sent out an apology email this afternoon.  I don't think I've ever seen such an inappropriate email from any business, ever!

Respected Contributor

I didn't read the email you are referring to because I have nothing I need to purchase so I just deleted it but I just got and read the email from Ulta apologizing to their customers and Kate Spade's family. I was not aware of how she died. Very poor choice of words from whoever wrote the email !

Super Contributor

Re: Ulta Kate Spade email

[ Edited ]

Very inappropriate. The thing is, I would think that an email/advertisement would have to be reviewed by a team & nobody noticed?

ETA - What did they mean by "come hang with KS" anyhow? Not like she was going to be doing a live social media thing ya know? I get emails from H&M to come hang when some designer or influencer is going to be live on social media, etc.

Honored Contributor

@september 

Macabre, tacky, Geeze.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

If I had gotten that email, I doubt I would have remembered how Spade chose to die.

Regular Contributor

I received both e-mails and did not remember how Kate Spade died and wondered why they were apologizing.

Very unfortunate choice of words.

Honored Contributor

@shoechic wrote:

Very inappropriate. The thing is, I would think that an email/advertisement would have to be reviewed by a team & nobody noticed?

ETA - What did they mean by "come hang with KS" anyhow? Not like she was going to be doing a live social media thing ya know? I get emails from H&M to come hang when some designer or influencer is going to be live on social media, etc.

The morning email was about Kate Spade fragrances.  I don't know why they would choose the words "come hang" with a person who everyone in the business should know, has passed away. The fact that she passed away by taking her life in this manner....worst choice of words, ever. 

Trusted Contributor
@shoechic
I agree...I got the email and the subsequent apology and although I didn't even notice the phrasing in the first email, when it was pointed out in the apology email, it DID seem very awkward. To "hang out" DOES imply Kate Spade was making a personal appearance.
I give Ulta a lot of credit for the apology...they also cited May being Mental Health Awareness Month, and the whole thing is made even more tragic by the statement from Ashley and Wynonna Judd that their mother Naomi died of "mental illness."
Honored Contributor

Re: Ulta Kate Spade email

[ Edited ]

Good God that is horrible. I would have definitely remembered her death, it was tragic.

Who on earth wasn't thinking in that company?

Such insensitivity and stupidity. She was a Mom too, so close to Mother's Day.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

it was kind of them to acknowledge and apologize. it honestly did not even click with me that it was "inappropriate."

the original email obviously did not mean the person, but to hang out with the fragrance. it was a poor choice of words probably, but kate spade had not owned that company since 2006.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein