Frequent Contributor

When I lived in Florida the mail box was attached to the house and the mail carrier was on foot. Move to Georgia and the mail carrier drives. Didn't know it was not ok to have someone block my mailbox until a note was left in my mailbox warning me that the mail would not be delivered if the box is blocked.

From then on I never let anyone block my mailbox.

Super Contributor
On 1/15/2014 Lynnj said:
On 1/15/2014 Dagna said:

Wow - she won't give you your mail if you stand by your mailbox?

I had an issue with the postal person delivering mail refusing to pick up the Q returns I placed in the mailbox. The second time I had to go to the post office, I spoke to a supervisor who assured me he was supposed to do it, and said he would speak to him, but then he did it again.

So when I saw the truck going the other way, I walked up our long driveway and waited for him (it takes about 5 minutes for him to come back down the street). I think since it was Christmas, he thought I had a gift for him and at first was happy to take it. When he saw it was a box addressed to the Q, he looked very unhappy. I then told him I was not happy that he was refusing to pick up these packages and that I had talked to the post office about it. He didn't say anything.

I haven't had a return since so I don't know how he will react in the future.

If you are thinking that I should have given him a Christmas gift, - since he is constantly delivering my neighbor's mail to me and vice versa - and after these episodes, while I have given gifts in the past, I decided not to this year.

He also has the habit of leaving large boxes on the ground next to the mail box. This is on the street at quite a distance from my house - and very easy for anyone to pick up. Again, the post office has told me he is not allowed to do this. If he can't drive down to the house (as my previous postal person always did), and it won't fit in the box, he should leave me a slip to pick it up at the post office - but mail should not be left in the street.

Do we have the same mail person? Yes! Don't get me started on all the mail I get in my box that is someone else's. Makes me afraid of what of mine he is putting in someone else's box. For this reason, I have gone paperless on many statements and bills I used to have delivered by mail. I don't need other people getting ahold of my financial statements.

I agree. We pay all our bills online.

Thankfully, I know my neighbors pretty well - so we exchange misdelivered mail pretty easily - but still .....

Honored Contributor
On 1/15/2014 Sushismom said:

While my carrier would still deliver, USPS rules state a carrier does not have to deliver:

1.4 Clear Approach

Customers must keep the approach to their mailboxes clear of obstructions to allow safe access for delivery. If USPS employees are impeded in reaching a mail receptacle, the postmaster may withdraw delivery service.

Yep, that's what I experienced. A couple years ago we got a ton of snow and the snow plow kept pushing it into the mailbox and it froze. I couldn't clear it. The mail truck couldn't get close enough, so I didn't get mail. I had to have a guy come and shovel it out.

Trusted Contributor
On 1/15/2014 Bungo said:

I think it is their policy. USPS has no interest in being kind and doing the right thing? Did your postal person have pj's on. ours always does. How does Customer Service work? It doesn't.

She could have asked the landscapers to move their trucks.

It's not the outright policy of the USPS, it's all OSHA's doing. They create the rules more than anyone else.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Valued Contributor
I have a slot mailbox on my house--a few years ago, there ware lots of trucks in the driveway--he walks anyway but made his way to the house like that for months
Valued Contributor
sometimes, well frequently we get mail at 7:00 at night
Super Contributor
On 1/15/2014 4OU2 said:

Okay. I'm happy now and really glad I don't have the jerks some of you have as mail delivery people. Thanks for all the information guys!!

Wow, I am sort of appalled by some of the experiences shared here. Our mail carrier has to trek through snow, and our mailbox is on our front porch next to our door. We always get our mail late afternoon, between 4-5pm when it is starting to get dark. Perhaps we are lucky because our mailman knows us and knows my dad is old and ill... but I sometimes feel bad when I haven't shoveled off the front walkway for him. I can see his tracks through the neighbors yard to mine.. I guess that is part of the job, delivery in bad weather. I can't imagine a USPS person not delivering packages because of obstructions, and you should certainly contact your local postal office. If it is your meds that need to be delivered, that is critical. Sounds like you have a lazy and inconsiderate postal carrier.

Respected Contributor

Because the mail carriers do their job unsupervised it gives them way too much leeway and it sounds like there are some out there that are very lazy and uncaring. Like I stated in an earlier post, my carrier and his alternate have always stopped in front of my neighbor's mailbox and walked to ours if ours was blocked. They would never dream of being a total schmuck by not delivering the mail. But, I do agree that if you have hired contractors definitely make it abundantly clear that they must not block the mailbox.

Respected Contributor
On 1/16/2014 Jules5280 said:
On 1/15/2014 4OU2 said:

Okay. I'm happy now and really glad I don't have the jerks some of you have as mail delivery people. Thanks for all the information guys!!

Wow, I am sort of appalled by some of the experiences shared here. Our mail carrier has to trek through snow, and our mailbox is on our front porch next to our door. We always get our mail late afternoon, between 4-5pm when it is starting to get dark. Perhaps we are lucky because our mailman knows us and knows my dad is old and ill... but I sometimes feel bad when I haven't shoveled off the front walkway for him. I can see his tracks through the neighbors yard to mine.. I guess that is part of the job, delivery in bad weather. I can't imagine a USPS person not delivering packages because of obstructions, and you should certainly contact your local postal office. If it is your meds that need to be delivered, that is critical. Sounds like you have a lazy and inconsiderate postal carrier.

Why not? That's inconsiderate on your part.

Super Contributor

If our boxes are blocked, the mail carrier is not expected to get out and put the mail into the box. Mine, however, does. Sometimes my neighbor has people over that park their golf carts everywhere....