Respected Contributor

I was waiting for meds today that needed a signature. The postal worker didn't leave the package, only a form saying he couldn't deliver the package because there was no one to sign for it. Should I have been standing outside all day to wait for him or do you think he could have brought it to the door and rung the bell so I could sign for it? Since they don't come at the same time everyday, how am I supposed to know his schedule. I will now go to the PO tomorrow and just pick up the darn thing.

Super Contributor

Maybe you can call the post office up and ask for the postmaster? The postmaster can tell the driver to knock on your door to sign for the package. However, I agree that the driver could've taken a moment to knock on your door and request a signature. It wouldn't take more than a minute of his/her time. 

Honored Contributor

@catter70 

That's concerning to me. I would be worried about not getting my meds in time through the mail. Ship happens and you never know when it happens. I wanted to have mine mailed but after much thought, I decided to just go and pick them up myself at the drive-thru. 

Respected Contributor

@reviewer from sc , the local PO doesn't answer their phone and I called the 800 # which gave me no options for this issue or a real person to speak with. BTW, the form he left wanted me to reschedule the delivery and what good is that  if I don't know they're here?

Esteemed Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I was waiting for meds today that needed a signature. The postal worker didn't leave the package, only a form saying he couldn't deliver the package because there was no one to sign for it. Should I have been standing outside all day to wait for him or do you think he could have brought it to the door and rung the bell so I could sign for it? Since they don't come at the same time everyday, how am I supposed to know his schedule. I will now go to the PO tomorrow and just pick up the darn thing.

@catter70 

All my regular meds are mail order, thus delivered by USPS. I do not have to sign for any of them, nor my wife for hers. We live rural type area drive route, and our mailbox in a pretty good distance from our house.

There is 1 of my meds that cannot be renewed for the full 12 months. My doctor has to write a prescription for each renewal. That one is included with not needing a signature.

Not sure why you have to sign since you didn't add that in your post. Our mailman also does not come at the same time daily. I think the local USPS is doing that for a reason on certain drive routes.

Just as many criminals learn a person's regular schedule for their purpose, I think that our USPS here might be doing that by altering delivery times.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

My husband has to sign for one of his but they knock on the door.

Respected Contributor

@catter70 That's really frustrating, I know. But at least they left you a notification. I had 2 packages supposedly "out for delivery" on Friday. Never showed up, so about 4:30 I checked the tracking. That's how I found out that they were being held at the PO!

I don't blame them for holding one of the packages...for some unknown reason a company sent a 23-gal. stainless steel kitchen trash can via USPS! I can't imagine why they didn't use UPS for that. The other, though, could've been delivered to my door--and the carrier has done that before. Don't know why they didn't this time.

I do blame them for not leaving a notification in my mailbox, though. 

Honored Contributor

@catter70 

Simply put a note in your mailbox or on your door to alert the mail carrier and others, to please knock or ring doorbell for deliveries.   

I had to put a sign above my doorbell telling people to press at the top and hold the button until they hear the chime from inside.  If they don't hear the chime from inside, the doorbell did not ring to alert us!  

I lost count of the number of people who said they rang my doorbell, but unless they press at the top and hold, there is no electrical connection and NO sound to let us know someone is out there.  

Esteemed Contributor

Calling doesn't work. The post office in my area is automated and there is no way to talk to a real person. Things don't work that way anymore, so trying to talk to the postmaster is a waste of time. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

I don't have to sign for my meds but if that were necessary the mailman would certainly ring the doorbell..