Honored Contributor

I have a fairly large package to return (not to QVC).  How much more expensive is it to ship by UPS vs. USPS?  The UPS Store is so much quicker than standing in line at the Post Office.  I would definitely ship USPS if it's significantly cheaper though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: USPS vs. UPS Price To Ship

@NickNack wrote:

I have a fairly large package to return (not to QVC).  How much more expensive is it to ship by UPS vs. USPS?  The UPS Store is so much quicker than standing in line at the Post Office.  I would definitely ship USPS if it's significantly cheaper though.

You can do everything for USPS through the website.

Not sure about UPS, I always found them expensive.

Respected Contributor

Those UPS stores are a lot more expensive. In some cases double what you would pay in the PO. These stores are franchises and they make money shipping and packing and printing. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you @software  and @50Mickey .  That's what I was afraid of, that UPS was much more expensive.  I'll take it to the post office.  I can't do it online because I have no idea how much the package weighs.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh @NickNack , you must have ESP, I was just going to start a topic about my experience this morning at the post office.

I live in Illinois and had a 9 pound package to be sent to California.  Went to the post office - it cost $38.00!!     I was shocked at the cost.  It's so seldom I ever ship packages; however, this was a Christmas present for my in-laws.  Usually they're here in Illinois for the holidays, but this year they were not.   The cost was about double of what I thought it was going to be.   

I'm curious of what it would of cost if I had gone to UPS.  My hubby thinks UPS is cheaper.

Good luck with sending yours!

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

Thank you @software  and @50Mickey .  That's what I was afraid of, that UPS was much more expensive.  I'll take it to the post office.  I can't do it online because I have no idea how much the package weighs.

I would send it by UPS. Waaaay cheaper. I just sent a large box to relatives as we won't be spending Christmas together. @NickNack 

Pack your box and tape it closed. Weigh yourself on a scale then get back on the scale holding your box (hopefully it isn't too heavy). Subtract the difference and you have the weight on your box. Measure your box by Length, width and height with a measuring tape. My box had the size listed on the bottom of the box. I printed the label and used clear shipping tape to secure it to the box. Go to a UPS service station NOT the UPS store (that is retail pricing) and drop it off. You can pay right then and there and they will check the weight for you or prepay online before you go. You can also get a pickup but there is a charge for that. Use Coupon code Holidays for 25% off ground shipment. 

Respected Contributor

Do you HAVE to let UPS pack your stuff? I always package my own Amazon returns to avoid any possible surcharge, and they always take them. Other people  show up there with sealed boxes to ship and I see UPS take them.

Assuming UPS will take a customer-packed box, I would weigh and  measure the box and then use the USPS online tools to calculate the shipment cost. You may run into something called "dimensional weight."  I think all the services have that. Don't forget insurance, assuming the contents are insurable. I believe $50 insurance is included with Priority mail. Don't know about UPS.

Not sure about how to get pricing from UPS. But to be fair, you need an apples-to-apples comparison, and that means packaging the shipment yourself.

Frequent Contributor

@NickNack  I always thought UPS was more expensive than USPS.

I can only share my most recent experiences. I had a medium sized box, not very heavy at all to send to my grandchildren for Halloween and my grandson's birthday. We went to the USPS because it is very convenient for us. It was going from NC to WI. It was $42.00 plus change. My husband was shocked to the point that he went back in to make sure it was accurate. I even checked on the website when I returned home.

This week we went to the UPS store to send our gifts to both WI and TN. The prices were comparable...possibly even cheaper because we had one very large and heavy box and it was about $6.00 more than the one we sent via USPS. 

Sorry to ramble on but I really don't think it makes a difference anymore plus my boxes got to TN in 1 day and to WI in 2. 
Merry Christmas 

Reggie

Esteemed Contributor

i know this might be off topic....but i just packed up a qvc return....is it cheaper to use their return label....or pay usps to return....thank you.....

Respected Contributor

I was curious about this so I just read 3 articles comparing USPS, UPS, and FedEx. All three authors sent out packages and compared the cost. USPS came out cheaper, and in some cases by a lot.