Honored Contributor

Re: USA TODAY article says 10K steps a gimmick starting in the 60’s as a marketing tool!

@Porcelain wrote:

@Pook  Aha. Dog walking does count.

The first 10-15 minutes are for my dog to sniff then we power walk.

Honored Contributor

Re: USA TODAY article says 10K steps a gimmick starting in the 60’s as a marketing tool!

@Styleovertrend 

Of course it is a marketing gimmick. That is old news. Seriously, think about it. There isn’t a magic #. It is common sense, not demoralizing. Think for yourselves people! 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I wore a fit bit for several years... what I found was on the days I did not make 10,000 steps it depressed me and I beat myself up over it.

So I quit wearing it about 6 months ago....

Now, I do not worry about how many steps I take... and do not get upset over not reaching a goal...  best thing I ever did.

@SeaMaiden 

What you did isn’t really in your best interest either, if you like the idea of increasing your activity.

To use a tracking device device properly you should just wear it for a week with normal activity to see what your average steps are. Then SET YOUR OWN GOAL.  Yes, you can do this. I suggest that the first goal be whatever your average number of steps is. With just a little effort you can reach this goal every day. - Baby steps are much more likely to be achieved and inspire you to achieve future goals.

When you hit your goal for 7 days (or however many per week you choose to hit them; you might want to have a “slug day” for relaxing with no step goals.) then you should increase your step goal a bit but remember to keep your goal achieveable, maybe 200-300 steps. For optimum health benefits, steps should be increased throughout the day rather than getting the bulk of them at onnce and barely moving the rest of the day.

Fitbit will reward you every time you reach your goal and that will motivate you to move more. Setting a goal too high to achieve without an extreme effort defeats the purpose.

Esteemed Contributor

It is just like any other fitness tool.  If you don't like it you are not going to get the most out of it.  Find what you like and let others uses what works for them without the constant negative comments.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I wore a fit bit for several years... what I found was on the days I did not make 10,000 steps it depressed me and I beat myself up over it.

Now, I do not worry about how many steps I take... and do not get upset over not reaching a goal...  best thing I ever did.

@SeaMaiden 

What you did isn’t really in your best interest either, if you like the idea of increasing your activity.

To use a tracking device device properly you should just wear it for a week with normal activity to see what your average steps are. Then SET YOUR OWN GOAL.  Yes, you can do this. I suggest that the first goal be whatever your average number of steps is. With just a little effort you can reach this goal every day. - Baby steps are much more likely to be achieved and inspire you to achieve future goals.

When you hit your goal for 7 days (or however many per week you choose to hit them; you might want to have a “slug day” for relaxing with no step goals.) then you should increase your step goal a bit but remember to keep your goal achieveable, maybe 200-300 steps. For optimum health benefits, steps should be increased throughout the day rather than getting the bulk of them at onnce and barely moving the rest of the day.

Fitbit will reward you every time you reach your goal and that will motivate you to move more. Setting a goal too high to achieve without an extreme effort defeats the purpose.

@willdob3 

How does it reward you?

Honored Contributor

@Styleovertrend 

I have no idea where/when, or who, started this 10k step business. There is no magic in walking or running X number of steps. I have seen lots of studies done by Exercise Physiologists since way back in the 1970's, but not a 1 saying this many steps, or miles will equal anyone's goal! 

First, someone has to set "their" goal. What results are they trying to achieve? Walking X number of steps/miles in X amount of time/at a specific heart rate/to lose weight/ to gain muscle strength and/or flexibility, or maybe just a way to ease stress or because it makes them feel good/better?

When competing I set lots of goals, similar to the goals I set for recovering from my many near death experiences. There was no "magic time/number", just determination/dedication, and lots of hard work. Knowing my body at its best, and at it's worst allowed me to incrementally set my ever moving goals.

As usual for me, I have not read any of the posts here except yours. These topics are ones I usually see in the Wellness Forum, but since it is here, I did shorten my reply. Yes, this is short for me.    =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

@willdob3 

How does it reward you?

@QueenDanceALot 

Different ways - some depend on the version you have. Verbally. Things like WTG! On watched or app - fireworks! Additional affirmations if you go over your goal. These motivate us to continue to make an effort. Setting goals too high is, as mentioned not motivating at all. Quite the opposite. 

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

@willdob3 

How does it reward you?

@QueenDanceALot 

Different ways - some depend on the version you have. Verbally. Things like WTG! On watched or app - fireworks! Additional affirmations if you go over your goal. These motivate us to continue to make an effort. Setting goals too high is, as mentioned not motivating at all. Quite the opposite. 

@willdob3

Oh, I thought maybe it sent me a sports car.

Nevermind.

Cat Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

Who decides how many steps are needed for fitness!  I can believe it was a marketing tool.  I would think as long as you get exercise, they can stuff their 10,000 steps.  Humans are so gullible.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some are missing the concept and focusing on the 10,000 steps which always just subjective.  Instead of getting fit using the idea  to challenge yourself to up your game and get up and move, focussing on the number is a diversion to justify being unfit.   Everyone will have a different step or workout goal to set and challenge themselves to meet or do better.  The number was just to get people to become more active and motivate themselves to do so.