Honored Contributor

Re: USA TODAY article says 10K steps a gimmick starting in the 60’s as a marketing tool!

@blackhole99 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  good for you.

Yes, it is.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: USA TODAY article says 10K steps a gimmick starting in the 60’s as a marketing tool!

@AuntG wrote:

@hopi 250 steps an hour? It would take 40 hours to reach 10,000 steps. I'd think more than that is required for adequate health.

People sit 8 to 10 hours a day.  If they go exercise for a half hour great but your heart and body needs circulation all day long.  So you are being made aware of  this aspect for your health.  The 10,000 steps comes with activity. 10,000 steps means anything, workouts, house work, yard work, cooking, cleaning, walking, swimming, yoga ,weights etc. 

Honored Contributor

We had a thread about the origin of this idea a few months back.
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Mindy D 

On what forum? I must have missed it.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Blame it on the smart watch/tracker!

It's a fact that we are consistently being told by salespeople and some healthcare providers (!) that we must walk 10,000 steps each and every day to remain healthy.  This arbitrary measurement (10,000 steps) requires a person to purchase the next new and shiny thing: a smart watch or tracker!!

(not cheap)

I have a friend whose daughter told the fiance' if he didn't purchase a $500 electronic watch for her for Christmas, then she didn't want anything. Mind you,she already has a Fit-Bit. It was uncomfortable as he reasoned the wedding expenses, etc. I just suggested he give in and buy it for her when she left the room. Yikes. Awkward.

dee

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Mindy D 

On what forum? I must have missed it.

hckynut

@hckynut 

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/The-10000-steps-a-day-myth/m-p/5740142/highlight/true#M172524

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom 

Thank you. Will see what others had to say in that thread.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

If you are not disabled and you are sedentary throughout the day, I think the 10K step goal is good. It disturbs me how sendentary most Americans are. Our bodies were meant to move.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Trusted Contributor

Who cares if it's a gimmick!  It keeps me accountable and mine will buzz me if I sit too long.  Nothing wrong with getting up and moving.  When I make the 10,000 steps, I feel like I've accomplished something other than sitting on my butt all day (I have a desk job).  Too many people are overweight so do whatever works for you.

Honored Contributor

@Phantom41 

...but a lot of people believe moving is a weight-loss tool.

It's not.

Like the saying goes, 'you can't out-exercise a bad diet.'