Honored Contributor

Re: UPDATE ON VACCINE PROGRESS

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

You cannot rush these sorts of things.  Vaccines need to be proven safe before they're given out.  It could take several years for that.

I'm not about to jump on board with a vaccine until it's been proven safe. 

And how long are you willing to wait?

Five years?

Ten?

Fifty?

The more people that we can get immunized against this virus, the better for ALL of humanity.

As soon as a vaccine becomes available, I'll be at my doctor's office first thing in the morning to get it.

Enough of this karp!

You

make

it

sound

the

vaccine

is

ready

to

go

this

year.

It's

not.

But

be

my

and

get

it

and

hope

there's

no

side

effects.

And how long are youyou going to wait?

Five years?

Ten?

Fifty?

It's just like with the polio vaccine.

We almost had it eradicated, until the anti-vaccers got it in to the heads that it was a "bad" vaccine.

I guess they like being sick and making others sick, too.

All just make some "point".

I'm not sure you're understanding the point.  Choosing to not get a vaccine when it's been proven safe is one thing.  Choosing not to get a vaccine until it's been proven safe is another. 

I will wait as long as I feel comfortable waiting.

so you're willing to wait years, and while you're waiting, risk getting the virus.

Okay.

1.  The vaccine has not even been developed yet. 

2.  Even when they do develop it, it might not be safe for humans.

3.  We have no idea of its efficacy.

Stop with the dramatics...

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate.

Honored Contributor

Homegirl

I watched that show as I do all the time.  I had that on my mind when I read this post.  I am given hope that many different scientists from this country and other countries are working to find a vaccine.

Respected Contributor

Saw an interview with one of the main research individuals at the NIH working on the vaccine.  She said they were alreay working on a vaccine for SARS and MERS, so when China released the genome sequencing, they started working on it right away.

If I understood correctly, they had already completed quite a bit of work on the SARS vaccine, so they are retooling and should be ahead of the curve because of that.  That is some encouraging news!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota

I saw the NIH interview. She said if everything went perfectly they could have an emergency vaccine for high-risk healthcare workers in the fall and something for the general public next spring (12 months).

She also talked about the fact that respiratory viruses don’t tend to generate long-lasting antibodies in humans, unlike something like measles which confers lifelong natural immunity. I read the SARs immunity has lasted less than 2 years in people. If the novel coronavirus only generates short- lived immunity, that pretty much blows up the idea of using herd immunity from acquired disease instead of a vaccine.
Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe, yes,  I heard her say that as well.  I believe she also mentioned how the coronaviruses are cousins to other viruses out there that cause the common cold (I assume she was talking about rhinoviruses?).  And that reinfection with those viruses is very common because active immunity did not last that long.  

And she did say their plan was once they had an effective vaccine they would vaccinate healthcare workers and first responders first during the fall. Then general dissemination starting in spring.

She did say that everything had to go just right though.  Fingers crossed it works!!!!! 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

so you're willing to wait years, and while you're waiting, risk getting the virus.

Okay.

None of this is up to us. The timeframes are not in our hands. It freaks me out too! It worries all of us.

I think it is wonderful that you are willing to put yourself forward for human trials -- if you are able and qualify. If you were selected you would be doing everyone a service. And of course you realize that there would be risks to doing that and that the experimental vaccine might not be effective.

@Porcelain  @Anonymous032819 

I've participated in two clinical trials.

Thank you should you decide to participate.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz

ITA even though I don't know what the heck an "anti-backer" is lol.

I had all my required vaccinations as a kid, and our kids had theirs. But I've never had the flu, I've never gotten a flu shot, and I don't intend to get in line for this latest vaccine. That doesn't make me an "anti-backer" (or an anti-vaxxer), but it apparently gets some so riled up they massacre the English language.

BTW In the absence of a vaccine, the only other way for a virus to effectively die out is for a certain percentage of the population to get it, survive it, and harbor immunity. Otherwise, when the cooped up and masked are finally allowed to emerge, the virus will still be a threat (notwithstanding its low mortality rate) in waves (Viruses 101), and its eradication, prolonged. 🤔Wait...I already posted that. Long ago.

It's not exactly news for those interested in science. And it's not news in the medical community, either, where there's boucoup disagreement about this. Efforts to SLOW the transmission (flatten the curve) are one thing; keeping people cooped up and masked--indefinitely-- is another.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

@Nightowlz

ITA even though I don't know what the heck an "anti-backer" is lol.

I had all my required vaccinations as a kid, and our kids had theirs. But I've never had the flu, I've never gotten a flu shot, and I don't intend to get in line for this latest vaccine. That doesn't make me an "anti-backer" (or an anti-vaxxer), but it apparently gets some so riled up they massacre the English language.

BTW In the absence of a vaccine, the only other way for a virus to effectively die out is for a certain percentage of the population to get it, survive it, and harbor immunity. Otherwise, when the cooped up and masked are finally allowed to emerge, the virus will still be a threat (notwithstanding its low mortality rate) in waves (Viruses 101), and its eradication, prolonged. 🤔Wait...I already posted that. Long ago.

It's not exactly news for those interested in science. And it's not news in the medical community, either, where there's boucoup disagreement about this. Efforts to SLOW the transmission (flatten the curve) are one thing; keeping people cooped up and masked--indefinitely-- is another.

@Moonlady 

I don't really know what an anti-backer is either. I just know I'm not taking a vaccine without knowing the side effects. I don't use new drugs. If I need to take something I want an old drug that has a track record.

I don't take the flu shot either. Last time I had a vaccine was in the 60's.

They have people that tested negative that still have the active virus in their nasal cavity. They don't know if a vaccine would be once per year like the flu shot or if it will last longer.  

When people get back out there it will start spreading again as they slowly stop social distancing. It has not even got bad here yet. We have 7 cases in our county with 1 death. We will never know if that death was actually from Covid-19 or not since if you die now that's how you died. She was an 86 year old women. She could have died from any number of things.