Honored Contributor

Re: UPDATE: HAMMACHER SCHLEMMER

I do agree about not accepting this lame excuse for a refund.   I think I would, then, go to my credit card company.

I'd be afraid that if you accept it, then you're finished and they can say that you agreed that was enough and that's the end of it.

Trusted Contributor

Their guarantee appears to be more of a gotcha. It wouldn't surprise me if they send returned defective merchandise to fill new orders, and the same merchandise keeps getting returned and resold. They might make their money just keeping the shipping costs and adding service fees. They have a poor online reputation.

hs guarantee.JPG

hs review search.JPG

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@skatting44 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@Kachina624 Neither is Facebook a regulatory agency. They are both interactive bulletin boards. I prefer BBB in a case like this; Facebook is also good.

The OP is losing a lot of money. She should post on both BBB and Facebook and see what happens.

@PickyPicky3 

When I tried corresponding by phone, email, and social media without results my complaint through the BBB was quickly and easily resolved the problem on a couple of situations I had.....  Many companies even advertise that they are an A+ rated company with the BBB, so I think the BBB does have an impact 

BBB is worthless ...

@skatting44   @sunshine45 

The BBB resolved my complaints..Complaints on Facebook and Twitter can result in tons of negative comments but no results....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Tell HS that if they don't waive return charges you'll contact your local tv consumer advocate.  If you don't get satisfaction  contact your advocate asap!

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  Thanks for that tip. I just posted about this on the Hammacher Facebook page and within minutes I got a private message from them asking me to provide order info. Great idea of yours!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@furbabylover Glad it seems you'll get someone from HS who will at least listen to you about this issue!

BTW..I  haven't heard this store mentioned since my grandmother passed decades ago.  She loved to shop. When I saw it in your title I immediately thought of her telling us about that store, Hah muh kuh   Schlem muh. Anyway, both my parents were raised in Brooklyn.  They still pronounced "father" as "faa tha" , and "mother" as "muh tha".  Smiley Happy  Sure miss all of them. Nice memory.

Honored Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

@Kachina624  Thanks for that tip. I just posted about this on the Hammacher Facebook page and within minutes I got a private message from them asking me to provide order info. Great idea of yours!!!

@furbabylover.  I'm sure you'll let us know what happens.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Caffeina Thank you for showing all those customer reviews. I had no idea. When you look at the reviews on their website they are all glowing. Its really a shame that a company that old is that bad.

Honored Contributor

Do just what you are doing, neg them on any social platform you can find.  Local business, hit them with Google or Yelp.  Internet, this board should do some good.  I seemed to have bought something from them back in the catalog glory days, but after reading your post I will avoid them.  The one I do feel bad about is Vermont Country Store.  They don't seem to do well for this forum's customers.  Yet I like their nightgowns. 

Honored Contributor

I dont know if you have a consumer board or action advocate in your area.   I am in California, near SiliconValley.  We have 7 on your side.  They get things done.  I emailed them with a problem I was having with a new Jenn-air range.  It was solved in 2 days.  I had the head of thedept calling me-from Jenn Air in Michigan.also, you can contact te consumer dept in your state, and the state  HS  does business.  Every stae has a Consumer protection dept.

sometimes it takes a little time, but it is worth it when you are mad and feel ripped off.  As you were!  Principal is a great motivator.  Companies usually want to please customers and do go out of their way to please us....even if we are wrong.  But there are  those who dont, or have ill informed, lousy employees that need to be educated  i pronably would not let it go.  Write bad reviews, post on social  networks.   Try talkingto different employees, demand t speak to supervisors