Valued Contributor

Yesterday I posted about my bad experience with Hammmacher Schlemmer with regard to returning three defective items (defective out of the box). They did not refund any of my shipping charges (all standard) using their own shipping labels, which added up to $90.00. I just got off the phone with them and after 20 minutes of trying to get them to identify my orders (I had to provide all order info to them because they could not find them), they finally agreed to refund me $17.95 because they could not locate any other pertinent info. And on top of that, they said the refund would be a check to be mailed within ten days, even though I paid by credit card. Here's the clincher- Hammacher claims to have a research center that tests and finds the best products on the market. That is their claim to fame. And yet three out of three products I received were defective out of the box. Do you want to go through this? 

Trusted Contributor

Re: UPDATE: HAMMACHER SCHLEMMER

@furbabylover  That's definitely no way to win customers. Thanks for all the info - I'll be sure to pass them by. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

If it's not too late, I wouldn't accept the $17.95 offer and instead post a complaint at BBB.

Today, many companies do little or nothing if you're communicating privately with them. Go on social media and you'll get a better response. Makes me sick, but that's the reality.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy from HS and they will make you pay for the return postage.  The good news is if your item stops working at any point, you can return it and get a replacement.  You just need to pay the shipping.   I admit, I dislike paying that return shipping also.  

I would take the check since it might be the best you can do.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3.  A complaint to the BBB is a waste of time.  They are not a regulatory agency and have no power.  They exist to serve the business commuity.

@furbabylover.  Check to see if they are on Facebook.  A public posting there may get a refund.  It has worked with other companies.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 Neither is Facebook a regulatory agency. They are both interactive bulletin boards. I prefer BBB in a case like this; Facebook is also good.

The OP is losing a lot of money. She should post on both BBB and Facebook and see what happens.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3. A lot more people read Facebook but it is probably a good idea to post on both.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@Kachina624 Neither is Facebook a regulatory agency. They are both interactive bulletin boards. I prefer BBB in a case like this; Facebook is also good.

The OP is losing a lot of money. She should post on both BBB and Facebook and see what happens.

@PickyPicky3 

On a couple of situations I had I tried calling, email, and social media without results but when I took my complaints through the BBB the situations were quickly and easily resolved .....  Many companies even advertise that they are an A+ rated company with the BBB, so I think the BBB does have an impact 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@PickyPicky3 

When I tried corresponding by phone, email, and social media without results my complaint through the BBB was quickly and easily resolved the problem on a couple of situations I had.....  Many companies even advertise that they are an A+ rated company with the BBB, so I think the BBB does have an impact 

BBB is worthless ...

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

If it's not too late, I wouldn't accept the $17.95 offer and instead post a complaint at BBB.

Today, many companies do little or nothing if you're communicating privately with them. Go on social media and you'll get a better response. Makes me sick, but that's the reality.

@PickyPicky3 

posting a complaint to BBB does absolutely nothing. they are not even required to respond to the complaint.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein