Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Considering Ditching My Landline

@wenfen wrote:

We're in the same boat. I just ditched AT&T wifi for Comcast wifi, but you can still keep your AT&T email & landline, since Comcast is Coax. I also dropped longdistance out calls, but use my cell phone for long distance if I need it.

The total charge for just the landlineis only $40. I purchased a spam blocker from QVC & believe me it keeps 95% of the spam calls away. Best purchase ever!

I would not ditch my landline because the quality is so much better than VOIP (over your wifi) or Cell phone in my subdivision. I also stlll use my landline for fax & it's easier for 911 to track you on a landline. My Doc told me not to ditch it & the $40 is worth the peace of mind.

Good-luck & hope that helps!

Thank you @wenfen.. You and @CAcableGirl2  both mentioned 911 calls.  That's such an important point.  I think I'll keep my landline for that reason.  I hadn't really thought about that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

We got rid of our landline two years ago, because of constant annoying scam and robocalls.  We realized that we were paying $700 a year for people to pester us!  We have better things to do with that money.  I did have to let all friends, family, and doctors know about the change, but most already had my cell phone number, so all they had to do was delete the home number.  It was a bit of an adjustment; I would habitually glance where my answering machine used to be for a long time.  But after a while, I was so glad that we did this, especially during the 2018 election season, when we used to be bombarded with political calls.  I would definitely recommend it.  I do get a few scam calls on my cell phone, but I don't answer them and then I block them right away so they can't call back on that number.

Valued Contributor

QVC sells an item called "CPR Call Blocker" that has  a lot of positive reviews.  Also with my land line service  through Spectrum,  I can enter online the numbers I want blocked.  It has helped a lot with the repetitive spam calls I used to get.   Nothing is 100%.

Super Contributor

Endured a 1 1/2 week power outage in winter several years ago & landline was all I had between me & the world. Would not get rid of it ever after that storm. Constant going to car to keep cell phone powered is too much hazzle for me. And winters aren't going away.

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack If you like your landline basically, I know we do at home, consider buying the "red button" call eliminator (I bought mine with the Q).  Preprogrammed with a lot of the existing SPAM callers.  After that, answer phone, if SPAM call press red button on front, hangs up call and blocks it going forward.

Respected Contributor

I got rid of my landline years ago a d haven't regretted it for an instant. 

I'd had my landline phone number for over 25 years and really wanted to keep it. Verizon allowed me to use my landline number as my cell number so there was no transition period.  

I get far fewer spam calls on my cell phone. Verizon has free spam identifier and it works great. I only answer calls that I can identify the caller. My pre programmed directory lets me know who is calling if they are in my directory. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

We could have kept our landline number, but didn’t know and cancelled our ATT service before signing up.

If you WANT to keep your landline number, you can.

There is a “box” that plugs into the wall (I was told it is sold at Walmart, etc) and it works off your internet.

Since we both have cell phones, we didn’t mind not having a landline, although if I had known about the other service I probably would have opted for that. HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

@D Kay  Yep...that's the one I purchased...works great & 95% of the spam/criminal calls are now gone!

Honored Contributor

We haven't used our landline in years and years.  I have it but it's just for the fax machine.  I don't recall the transition being a big deal at all.  I already had a cell phone and my doctor, dentist, etc etc etc had both numbers so if they couldn't reach me on the landline, they called the cell.  I changed the phone number with other contacts, it wasn't such big deal.  I reached out to family and friends.  It worked itself out.  However, you are still going to get junk calls on your cell phone.

Super Contributor

@LTT1  that's NOT a dedicated Land Line, but rather a VOIP (voice activated phone) so when your power goes out, so does your phone. That's the main reason we switched to Comcast Coax Wifi...you can have both in your house...AT&T has digital.

The charges for Landline, Wifi, TV Cable & Cell phone are now much lower than the wifi & landline I used to have with AT&T.