Respected Contributor

After over 500 covid cases just in the dorms, they have been closed for most students for winter term.  This was predictable, yet the U let it happen.

The administration had the students come to Ann Arbor, spread the covids around, and now they are sending them back all over the country.  They should have listened to their own public health experts who advised against students coming to campus this fall.

Has anyone else heard about schools closing in their area?

Respected Contributor

My granddaughter is in grad school there.  She had already decided to do the winter term from home remotely....it's about time the university took this step.  

Esteemed Contributor

My local college is still having in person classes. I just looked at their online info, and it says there are 30 active positive cases. 

I guess the kids might have to go in for labs, but I really think we should be taking every possible percaution where this virus in concerned. Why I would think anyone would do that, I don't know.

Honored Contributor

Having created the situation, the school should have kept everyone in place rather than passing them back to the general population.  They could handle it - they're a big school, after all.

Esteemed Contributor

It's always about the money.

I'm not aware of any school that has the capabilities to monitor 500 ill students. You're talking dr's and nurses. I attended a state university of about 20,000 students. One physician and 3-4 nurses.

U of M is boasting free tuition for families making $65k or less and modest assets. IF you agree to live on campus and pay those dorm and meal fees.

See the first statement about the money.

Valued Contributor

Re: UMich Closes Dorms

[ Edited ]

@KarenQVC wrote:

After over 500 covid cases just in the dorms, they have been closed for most students for winter term.  This was predictable, yet the U let it happen.

The administration had the students come to Ann Arbor, spread the covids around, and now they are sending them back all over the country.  They should have listened to their own public health experts who advised against students coming to campus this fall.

It's so disappointing, coming from a school with one of the best public health programs.  I was so afraid of the outbreaks following the U of M - MSU game; the parties were, well "typical football weekend", couches on fire at State.

Esteemed Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

None of the schools around here are closing or even having problems with outbreaks.  Guess some places are better at following precautions than others.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

This was all the result of human behavior.  Again, the behavior of randy undergrads could have been anticipated.  It is a law of physics, just like the eternal presence of burning couches in E. Lansing.

Now tonight I am reading a public health expert from Harvard is saying we could have double the covids within a month!

Honored Contributor

Good grief.Everyone panics here when a college has 20 cases.  I think your are correct, it was totally predictable.  Let the students come back and the virus will spread through the schools and through the communit.  It was a no brainer.  College kids, especially the younger ones away from home for the first time; were not going to do anything to protect themselves from this virus. They think they are invincible at that age and partying, dating and having fun are their main focus.  It's like the school was reluctant to put any strong measures like; frequent testing, social distancing, online classes for classes that did not require presence in a classroom.  All the colleges and universities here do that and they kick any student who breaks the rules out.  Parents did go to court over that but the judges only ruled the the colleges must refund the tuition when they do that.  There are still Covid 19 cases on campuses but no where near even 100. It's manageable by quarantining and treating the students who do get it.  Some colleges never opened, everything is online.  I think the only thing unique about the UMich is the number of infected students.  Which means the a whole lot of staff are also infected.  I look at that Covid 19 map and I can only feel thankful that I live in New England.  Our governor just put in some curfews and restrictions because the numbers have been going up.Hopefully, things will in the other direction now.  No one wants to be where we were last March!

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree I have to say you on the East Coast have shown an ounce of sense.  Good for you.

Now our public schools here are starting to close.  Anyone could tell this would happen, too.  These people were in denial.