Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy 

You are correct, colleges are all about the almightly dollar. Take money, push them through.

Back at the very beginning of COVID before it came to the U.S. we were out with a couple who are both college professors.  One is a biologist and they were in PANIC mode, and part of the COVID task force at a smaller private college.  I like a fool thought they were concerned about student health and/or how to get international students home or housing................

No, no, not- they the college was was in a panic over next semester enrollments $$$$$$$$$$

Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Snowpuppy 

You are correct, colleges are all about the almightly dollar. Take money, push them through.

Back at the very beginning of COVID before it came to the U.S. we were out with a couple who are both college professors.  One is a biologist and they were in PANIC mode, and part of the COVID task force at a smaller private college.  I like a fool thought they were concerned about student health and/or how to get international students home or housing................

No, no, not- they the college was was in a panic over next semester enrollments $$$$$$$$$$

May not like it but colleges are a business not a charity.  They have bills to pay and need students to keep their doors open.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I think UMich staying open had to do with university $, but also other things, like sheer stubbornness and helping out the landlords.

The dorms here basically only hold freshmen.  Private landlords and food stores and restaurants get the rest of the $.

The university only accepts 22% of applications, so accepting more out of state richies would yield more tuition $.  Also UMich is holding a lot of endowment $.

The $ of it is more complicated than it is at lower tier schools.

Honored Contributor

Everyone said don't open them to begin with. People need to clean out the earwax and listen.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

After over 500 covid cases just in the dorms, they have been closed for most students for winter term.  This was predictable, yet the U let it happen.

The administration had the students come to Ann Arbor, spread the covids around, and now they are sending them back all over the country.  They should have listened to their own public health experts who advised against students coming to campus this fall.

Has anyone else heard about schools closing in their area?

"The administration had the students come to Ann Arbor"

No one forced these kids to come to school. If you got accepted to U of MI you are pretty darn bright.  Bright enough to decide to stay home and study locally or take a gap year.

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

After over 500 covid cases just in the dorms, they have been closed for most students for winter term.  This was predictable, yet the U let it happen.

The administration had the students come to Ann Arbor, spread the covids around, and now they are sending them back all over the country.  They should have listened to their own public health experts who advised against students coming to campus this fall.

"The administration had the students come to Ann Arbor"

No one forced these kids to come to school. If you got accepted to U of MI you are pretty darn bright.  Bright enough to decide to stay home and study locally or take a gap year.

Did somebody force the administration members to open the dorms?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

The decision was made by the u president and the elected school board.  At MSU the decision was made to basically close campus to undergrads.  The gov preferred the MSU solution.

I might add that UMich said it had created a bubble of safety, but there was never enuf testing built into the plan to even begin to make that credible.

Respected Contributor

I just saw a map of college cases around the country and some schools have more cases than UMich--like AL and Penn State.

I hope the new covid committee will establish universal standards.

Esteemed Contributor
Yesterday New York's SUNY system with over 60 campuses announced all online learning from Thanksgiving until February 1, 2021.

All students returning to a campus in February must be tested and Spring Break 2021 is canceled.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

None of the schools around here are closing or even having problems with outbreaks.  Guess some places are better at following precautions than others.

@CrazyDaisy , OSUs numbers are increasing.  They had 328 positive cases last week compared to just 170 the week prior and 161 the week prior to that.  

I know at one point Kent State was having a problem but I think they may have gotten that under control.