Esteemed Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

I guess there is no way to stop them.  When I go into my usual places, Walmart, Costco and a few local grocery stores I  feel relatively safe.  I do own pepper spray and a very loud safety alarm... but I have not carried them yet because I am worried I will injure myself. LOL   

There is general sentiment that  THEY will not be caught and if caught will be let go.  Law and order has been very very very  compromised at the expense of good citizens just trying to do the right thing and living from day to day in these times.  

The only way to stop this is to dramatically toughen up the laws and prosecute them to the fullest.

I agree.  I think most would.  Problem is how to catch them?  They take everyone by surprise and it's more than one person doing it.  It's group theft @decaf .

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Exactly, you think other countries tolerate this BS ! In India if your caught stealing a apple they chop off your hand. Over here you sell on Ebay.

too soft,  folks, too soft. When you have a country where there is no  consequences for your actions, people will take advantage of it from the cradle to the grave.

Catch and release programs don't work....so they just stopped trying to catch them.

Few yrs from now we will see a change.

Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@decaf wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

I guess there is no way to stop them.  When I go into my usual places, Walmart, Costco and a few local grocery stores I  feel relatively safe.  I do own pepper spray and a very loud safety alarm... but I have not carried them yet because I am worried I will injure myself. LOL   

There is general sentiment that  THEY will not be caught and if caught will be let go.  Law and order has been very very very  compromised at the expense of good citizens just trying to do the right thing and living from day to day in these times.  

The only way to stop this is to dramatically toughen up the laws and prosecute them to the fullest.

I agree.  I think most would.  Problem is how to catch them?  They take everyone by surprise and it's more than one person doing it.  It's group theft @decaf .

@gertrudecloset  If I heard correctly on the news, they got 4 who were involved in one smash and grab in Ca.  I thnk they'd  turn on the others if the laws were different.

Esteemed Contributor

What's next?

Word is grocery stores. Little, if any security and grab high end beef, seafood, wines and hard liquor. 

Easy enough to sell in the right neighborhoods.

Esteemed Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@decaf wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

@gertrudecloset  If I heard correctly on the news, they got 4 who were involved in one smash and grab in Ca.  I thnk they'd  turn on the others if the laws were different.

Well that's good.  But when there are many stealing at the same time the loss is still painful.

Trusted Contributor

I read about two deterrents that may help.  

Some high end retailers are installing GPS devices in the merchandise so the police can track and catch.the thieves. 

The other is "smoke".  An employee pushes a button and within 5 seconds the store fills with a cloud of white smoke, the thieves can't see the goods.  I wouldn't want to be an employee stuck in that space with the bad guys. 

Respected Contributor

@decaf wrote:

I read about two deterrents that may help.  

Some high end retailers are installing GPS devices in the merchandise so the police can track and catch.the thieves. 

The other is "smoke".  An employee pushes a button and within 5 seconds the store fills with a cloud of white smoke, the thieves can't see the goods.  I wouldn't want to be an employee stuck in that space with the bad guys. 

@decaf I wouldn't want to be a shopper there either if that happened!

Respected Contributor

I saw the video of the Ulta heist. SMH!

I think the guy filming it was too scared to do anything about it, at least that's how it appeared.

Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@sktchy wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

I too am afraid if I carry pepper spray ect it will be accidentally discharged.  I was in a closed car with a girlfriend who did just that.  It was awful.  Thank goodness it was in a Target parking lot and someone got some milk and water to help us out.  

These organized crime groups are not looking to rob you.  They want the merchandise in the store @sktchy .

DUH - I was commenting on Bonnielu's comment regarding her carrying pepperspray

Esteemed Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@sktchy wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

I too am afraid if I carry pepper spray ect it will be accidentally discharged.  I was in a closed car with a girlfriend who did just that.  It was awful.  Thank goodness it was in a Target parking lot and someone got some milk and water to help us out.  

These organized crime groups are not looking to rob you.  They want the merchandise in the store @sktchy .

DUH - I was commenting on Bonnielu's comment regarding her carrying pepperspray

Duh, pepper spray ain't gonna help you either @sktchy .  Duhhhh.........