Esteemed Contributor

Two "Chip" Stops Today

[ Edited ]

Bought a pair of shoes at DSW this morning and asked if I could use a debit card, answer "yes you can, does it have a chip?" Me "I dunno". She looks at it, and I do. So I had my first experience of not sliding through the slot on the side but instead inserting into a slot below the number pad and waiting for 2 little green lights to go on then putting in my pin. Then I stopped at home depot, same thing....well I'll be darned. I was just at home depot not all that long ago and they didn't have them yet. The lady who waited on me said they're already having some problems with them. She named a bunch of stores in that big shopping area that are now using them, including Target. This was just my plain old bank debit card, not Visa or Mastercard related. Just found it interesting, guess I'm no longer a chip virgin.

Honored Contributor

The best are the stores that have the chip machines but tell you to continue to swipe instead.  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Part of the problem apparently is that the company who supplies the "chip" machines does not have enough people to come and install the software to make them work. One store told me that the company cancelled on them three different times.

I had complained as they told me to swipe my chip card, and the machine denied my card! Then I used another chip card, and it denied that card too. Ten minutes later, I used it successfully at Walmart. I knew that I had plenty of money in those accounts.. It just gets embarrassing when the salesgirl calls out, "Denied...do you want to try it again?" Grrrr!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

Nearly every store I visit lately has the new machine, but not yet set up.  I didn't know it was because of the company that provides the machines being understaffed........sheesh.  So far, the only stores I visit that have it working are Walgreens and Pet Supplies Plus!  I've had the CC with the chip for over a year now.  I don't use a debit card.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

There is one thing that annoys me about the chip machines. Once you put the card in, a message stays on the screen telling you not to remove the card. You can't see the purchases on the screen when they are scanned anymore. More than once or twice I've caught an error in the scanned price vs the advertised price and caught it at the register. Can't do that anymore. Grrrrr . . .

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop