Honored Contributor

Re: Turning 65 this month, but today (1st) I am officially on Medicare.

@KateChopin wrote:

@Pianomama wrote:

Perhaps that is ONE good thing about getting older, but what has been your experience?  I do have a Medicare Advantage plan.  I am terribly glad I won't be paying the 350 dollars a month for health insurance anymore.

@Pianomama wrote:

Perhaps that is ONE good thing about getting older, but what has been your experience?  I do have a Medicare Advantage plan.  I am terribly glad I won't be paying the 350 dollars a month for health insurance anymore.

What is Medicare Advantage?  How is it different from Medicare?  I am the opposite of you---after not paying for insurance for three years, now with Medicare approaching I understand I will have to pay lots! And some doctors don't take it. Sigh.

The basics .... with Medicare you can keep original Medicare and get a Supplement  ....  or get the Advantage.

With the Supplement, you can select any doctor that takes Medicare .... think of this as a PPO.    There are various options of coverage, and many do not cover prescriptions, so you may also want a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.

With the Medicare Advantage ... think of it as an HMO.   You are in a network and have to choose doctors from within that network.  Many include drug coverage.  If can be cheaper but you have less freedom, unless you want bigger out of pocket fees for seeing someone outside the network.

I really like the book  Medicare for Dummies ... it really breaks down things into bite size pieces of information, but there are others out there as well.

Product Details

Trusted Contributor

@chihuahuamom

Welcome to Club Medicare! (I joined in November)  We have the traditional plan as well as a supplemental policy.  I've used it twice without any problems

I've heard mixed reviews about the Advantage plan.  A lot has to do with whether your present doctors are part of the network or you want to choose new doctors. Only you can decide what is right for you.

Happy February Birthday!

Honored Contributor

skip Medicare Advantage. Word to the wise. My insurance man said nothing good ever came out of it..  Research online.

Honored Contributor

I've had the Advantage plan for three years. I chose a Dr. In the plan, but am not always limited to her. I see her every three months for bloodwork and results. Because of the meds, she likes to monitor the blood and liver. Get EKGs, Echo, stress etc. don't have any fees. Of course, I never had to have any kind of operation. May change to a Supplement down the road though. But for now, this works.

Honored Contributor

Best thing we did was go to a person who just deals in Medicare and Seniors issues. We could afford better options and it sure pays, sometimes to get older. LOL 

No more shelling out huge monthly premiums for the both of us. We celebrated last yr when he got on Medicare. Be celebrating end of yr. when I get on bandwagon. Still be pricey with 2 Medicare premiums part B of 120 a piece and 2 supplements and drug plans, but, in long run cheaper then 8-900 a month.