Respected Contributor

Several years ago on a trip to Pigeon Forge, TN, took a tour of the Titanic Museum there.  Very interesting.  Still one of my favorite movies!  We really enjoyed it.  

Honored Contributor

We went to the traveling exhibit a number of times. Both of my children were fascinated with the story. Oddly enough my late brother was too when he was little. I remember my mom somehow ordered a huge picture book from England for his Christmas gift one year. I remember that well. Her coworker asked to see it before she wrapped it, so she took it home for the night. AND somehow ketchup was spilled inside the pages. Mom wasn't happy! IDK whatever happened to that book, but my brother loved to look at it. (I think he was about 11 or 12). We also had a board game, which I still have.

We have a lot of books, and of course DD can quote the movie. We do know a lot of stories about the passengers and crew.

There really is a "J. Dawson " (Joseph) who is buried in Nova Scotia. He was a member of the crew and 23 when the ship sank. There was also a "Rose" on board, but she was a maid to a first class passenger. She survived.

BF6BB590-6577-4A04-B180-0AFF15C02D21.jpeg

Joseph Dawson 

Honored Contributor

@songbird Hominy is what people in South Carolina mostly called what we call "grits" back in the day.  It's also basically the same as polenta. Now hominy is a different corn process.

And remember:  Italy did not have tomatoes, corn or if I am correct, bell peppers before New World foods were introduced.

Fresh, stone ground grits are nothing like the grocery store ones.  They have far more flavor and texture when properly cooked in water, milk, or cream, with salt and better and additions like cheese if you like.  

Respected Contributor

Maybe, Boiled Hominy is just that, Boiled Hominy, like you can buy in cans?  When I was a kid, my mom would occasionally serve hominy as a side veggie at dinner, like regular corn & we'd slap some butter, salt & pepper on it, since it didn't have much taste on its own, as I recall.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@songbird Hominy is what people in South Carolina mostly called what we call "grits" back in the day.  It's also basically the same as polenta. Now hominy is a different corn process.

And remember:  Italy did not have tomatoes, corn or if I am correct, bell peppers before New World foods were introduced.

Fresh, stone ground grits are nothing like the grocery store ones.  They have far more flavor and texture when properly cooked in water, milk, or cream, with salt and better and additions like cheese if you like.  

@Sooner 

You got that RIGHT! We have to buy ours online...Palmetto Farms brand...because the only thing stores here sell are instant grits.  No thank you!

F7ADFD58-0908-4BED-9041-86468CEA7F19.png

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife Yes!  I also buy from Anson, and Marsh Hen Mill out on Edisto Island S.C.--several kinds and what we've gotten have been very good!!  They have good corn meal and cornbread mix too. 

Glad to know about your source too!  

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

Maybe, Boiled Hominy is just that, Boiled Hominy, like you can buy in cans?  When I was a kid, my mom would occasionally serve hominy as a side veggie at dinner, like regular corn & we'd slap some butter, salt & pepper on it, since it didn't have much taste on its own, as I recall.

@aubnwa01 Hominy is actually field corn (bigger kernals than sweet corn for eating and mostly dried for use in animal feed) that is dried and soaked in lye water to soften the husk to make it better to eat.

My dad raised corn for his nephew's pigs a long time ago, and had a corn crib (small barn) to dry it.  Kids and hunters would go down and grap an ear of dried corn and peel off the kernals to chew on!  

It was like corn nuts only harder, and no salt!  

I sound like a real pioneer woman!  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:

The boiled hominy would be like grits?

No, I remember hominy from my early years in Virginia. It's white round, shiny, gluey soaked whole corn kernels. I remember it came in a can.

Grits are dried ground corn meal. Polenta.

I don't know if that's what they meant by hominy in 1915 tho'.

@candyagain 

No! The wet hominy is dried then ground and that is grits(real grits). Once upon a time grits were regulated by the FDA and in order to be sold as grits they had to be made from hominy that had been dried. It is a lot of extra work. When that restriction fell away reputable farmers worried that shortcuts would be taken and corn meal would be sold as grits and that is exactly what happened over the years. My father had letters from servicemen begging him to send them real grits because "these people do not know the difference between corn meal and grits". He would send them cases no matter where they were in the world.

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 Yes.  There is a difference between "grits" (ground corn) and hominy grits (ground hominy).  

As I understand it, back in the day at least around Charleston S.C. hominy was the norm rather than calling anything like it "grits".  

Trusted Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@candyagain wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:

The boiled hominy would be like grits?

No, I remember hominy from my early years in Virginia. It's white round, shiny, gluey soaked whole corn kernels. I remember it came in a can.

Grits are dried ground corn meal. Polenta.

I don't know if that's what they meant by hominy in 1915 tho'.

@candyagain 

No! The wet hominy is dried then ground and that is grits(real grits). Once upon a time grits were regulated by the FDA and in order to be sold as grits they had to be made from hominy that had been dried. It is a lot of extra work. When that restriction fell away reputable farmers worried that shortcuts would be taken and corn meal would be sold as grits and that is exactly what happened over the years. My father had letters from servicemen begging him to send them real grits because "these people do not know the difference between corn meal and grits". He would send them cases no matter where they were in the world.

Oh wow, interesting to know! I love grits but I'll bet they are the corn meal variety. I can't remember having them as a child but I remember that can of hominy. How generous of your father to send the guys the real thing.

Another thing I remember was Karo syrups on the kitchen table -- one clear and one brown.