Esteemed Contributor

I watched a report on the Titanic late last night on the Smithsonian channel.  It focused on determining exactly where the Titanic sunk and what the water temperature was.

The ship sank in water that was terribly cold, not in some other area that would have been considerably warmer.  Of course, bitterly cold water killed must faster.

Many bodies were removed to Canada for burial.  The person of highest social caste was John Astor, and the lowest was likely a 2 year old child.

I just can’t imagine.  

Honored Contributor

I'll eat shrimp and grits for breakfast, but I dunno--grits, bloaters and kidneys might be a little much for even this adventurous eater!.  Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

I have been thinking about the event a great deal the last few days with the anniversary coming up.  I remember the first time I heard of it in elementary school it broke my heart.  All those people and such an avoidable disaster.  Our city library is doing a two month long exhibit so that you can be a part of the ship. As well as see many items and read of the "people."   The little girl's photo on the front page of the paper was priceless as she went through the exhibit yesterday.

Tyler Public Library hosts unforgettable Titanic experience throughout April

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I read that as grilled ox kidneys and bacon, not grilled ox. I could be wrong!

Respected Contributor

Very interesting.  My grandmother gave my mother a cookbook when my parents were married.  I believe this was around 1946, after the war.  The recipes in this cookbook wouldn't fly today, but they remind me of the food served on the Titanic shown here.

Examples:  Jellied Lamb, Chinese Sweet Bones, Broiled Deviled Sardines, Partridge and Quail, Banana Raisin Sandwich, Brains a la King, Lyonnaise Tripe....

Well you get the idea.  Lunchtime!!!!  Cat LOL

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

The boiled hominy would be grits? 

Honored Contributor

The boiled hominy would be like grits?

Trusted Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

Very interesting.  My grandmother gave my mother a cookbook when my parents were married.  I believe this was around 1946, after the war.  The recipes in this cookbook wouldn't fly today, but they remind me of the food served on the Titanic shown here.

Examples:  Jellied Lamb, Chinese Sweet Bones, Broiled Deviled Sardines, Partridge and Quail, Banana Raisin Sandwich, Brains a la King, Lyonnaise Tripe....

Well you get the idea.  Lunchtime!!!!  Cat LOL

@jellyBEAN ...Brains a la King just struck me! Lol!

Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

No, I remember hominy from my early years in Virginia. It's white round, shiny, gluey soaked whole corn kernels. I remember it came in a can.

Grits are dried ground corn meal. Polenta.

I don't know if that's what they meant by hominy in 1915 tho'.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I asked my husband.  Yes it is.  I've never eaten it.  Even in Italy I never went down South, LOL.  I asked what it tastes like, he didn't like it.  Made a face.  Maybe other people like it, he didn't.