Super Contributor

Has anyone been & what does it entail?

Honored Contributor

As in a defensive driving course for an insurance discount?  Or some other reason?

Honored Contributor

@QP Doll 

I attended a traffic school to get a discount on my auto insurance. With the right person giving these classes, most drivers could learn some innocuous ways to reduce their chances of vehicle collisions. 

Personally, they should be mandatory to be able to attain or retain a valid drivers license, and in every state.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Re: Traffic school

[ Edited ]

I’ve been to traffic school as a result of a moving violation. It’s basically four or eight hours of lectures and short videos about traffic laws and regulations for your state. 

Some classes include quizzes others don’t.

Our state allows you to complete the course online or take it in person.

Honored Contributor

I asked my agent about taking a driving class to get a discount on my insurance and he said it would not be a significant amount to justify paying the cost of the class. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Traffic school

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@QP Doll 

I attended a traffic school to get a discount on my auto insurance. With the right person giving these classes, most drivers could learn some innocuous ways to reduce their chances of vehicle collisions. 

Personally, they should be mandatory to be able to attain or retain a valid drivers license, and in every state.

hckynut

You talked me into it John.  Even if it doesn't lower my car insurance premium, it will benefit my husband and myself to refresh our defensive driving skills.  And the class is held just a few minutes away from our home.

The class is offered through AARP.  The cost is $20 for AARP members, and $25 for non-members. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMeeYour agent's advice was for you, but it might not be true for everyone.  My insurance was down enough that one 6 months savings paid for the whole course and the next 5 lower insurance payments were all for me ---  as a retiree, I have more time than money so having that little bit of extra money was fine with me.  I've sat for the defensive driving course any numbers of times and learned something every time and that, too, is good.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops 

Yes, that's probably true. I'm retired, too, and I've been driving for 50 years without a single ticket or accident. I hardly ever drive now since retiring and sometimes I wonder why I even own a car.Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I asked my agent about taking a driving class to get a discount on my insurance and he said it would not be a significant amount to justify paying the cost of the class. 

@SilleeMee 

My wife and I both went and we got a 20% discount for 3 years. Like many things "worth one's time" is subjective. For us it was very financially beneficial. As far as learning things I did not know, and practice? Not so much, but for me, worth keeping the money in my possession.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I attended traffic one time to get points removed for a speeding ticket - the only one I’ve ever had.  It was just one night for a few hours. There were lectures and accident videos.

The funny thing was one of the attendees was obviously drunk and kept interrupting the proceedings all evening but nothing was done or said to him.