Respected Contributor

Tourists are arriving!

[ Edited ]

Long line of cars, motorhomes, campers, motorcycles, etc. heading to the beaches. People opening up their houses and cabins and rentals. A little later than usual but happy to see. Good for the hotels/motels, restaurants, bars. and seafood/fish markets (they are still buying lobsters here). Tourists-glad to see them come and enjoy our state, glad to see them go when the season is over. Get our small town back again.  Talking to my friends that own hotels and restaurants, it is going to be another great season. Good for them!

ETA-I live in Maine, on the main street heading to the beaches, so we get to see how good the season is going to be from all the motor vehicles driving by.

Honored Contributor

Good to hear that people are willing to travel and enjoy the summer. 

Honored Contributor

Isn't it wonderful to get back to normal? So glad things are getting better for your town.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Regular Contributor

With the price of gasoline I am amazed people can afford it. 

Honored Contributor

AAA is predicting highest travel volume in five years. If that happens yes plenty of people can afford it 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@mormel20 wrote:

With the price of gasoline I am amazed people can afford it. 

Likely just 1 road trip for us this summer and we're still debating.

Trip vs stocking pantry/freezer to the fullest.

Honored Contributor

I think lots of people have plenty of money to buy their daily needs and still travel, but there are 2 different sets of people: those who are as  comfortable or better now than they were before the pandemic and those who are desperate to pay for food and basic living.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't say things are back to normal or maybe some people wish they were and are acting like they are. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Rockycoast  Judging from your handle, I'm guessing you are from Maine. Some of our favorite trips ever! We went to the lobster fest in Rockland, to Kennebunkport, and also to Searsport to have lobster at Youngs. If I'm wrong,and you are not from Maine, sorry. But, I'm glad that people are getting out there again. We just got back from visiting our son and grandkids in Pittsburgh, and the round trip cost us about $140. in gas. It was worth it, but OUCH!

Respected Contributor

I just spoke to two motorcycle riders from Alaska the other day. I was telling them we often topped  Alaska in cold temps. in N. WIS. I parked between Iowa and Okla. plates.  Many times more out of state plates than Wi. Our season starts with opening of fishing season two weeks ago, but roars Memorial Day and settles down a bit mid August when schools start. People are taking trips closer to home again.

Business did well last summer even with some Covid restrictions and I would expect a good summer although we have been chilly lately  and frost tonight. Snow fell in N. MN. but did not stay. So much flooding with snow melt and recent rain there, like International Falls. Mississippi branches and Red River near Dakotas.

I shop between 8 am to 9 am  avoiding lines.  Expect more bare shelves this time of year. Labor is still short and inside dining in McDonald's and DQ still down. Students have a pick of summer jobs. Paying $15 to $17.50 for stocking shelves.

Covid is high to medium in the North and Duluth, MN. is requiring masks inside as of Monday. I see more mask wearing in stores.