Respected Contributor

Re: Tourist Submarine Missing

@patbz wrote:

CNN just said "no toilet; just a bottle".

@patbz    David Pogue showed it- a "Thunder Jug"   one of those hospital urine receptacles for males and it was stored inside the bowl of a tiny commode for the lady explorers (one went on last years voyage.)

Trusted Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Undersea and outerspace freak me out.

Interesting that you say that because Stockton Rush wanted to be an astronaut first, but he realized he was never going into space, so he concentrated on the other direction. 

Both would freak me out too.

Respected Contributor

They will run out of air Thursday morning. There are several experts who had sent warning letters in the past that addressed possible catastrophic failures of these vehicles.

Now reports say a banging noise was heard on sonar in 30 minute intervals today; the Coast Guard denies this. Once again, conflicting information. All I feel I can do is pray for these poor people. I think it is dark and they are all barefoot and had to just sit on the floor of the  vehicle....it sounds like the whole thing is not very well built. 

Respected Contributor

They will run out of air Thursday morning. There are several experts who had sent warning letters in the past that addressed possible catastrophic failures of these vessels.

Now reports say a banging noise was heard on sonar in 30 minute intervals today; the Coast Guard denies this.  Seems to me if they heard banging they could locate the vessel,  if that was the source of the sound. Once again, conflicting information. All I feel I can do is pray for these poor people. It is dark and 0 degrees Celsius or below at that depth; and they are all barefoot and had to just sit on the floor of the vessel....it sounds like the whole thing is not very well built. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's Info I snagged from Chris Cuomo's show tonight on News Nation Channel:

On this Voyage:
  • Hamish Harding    (Billionaire Explorer)
  • Paul Henri Nargeolet  (World Reknown Titanic Expert)
  • Stockton Rush  (CEO, Oceangate (these Tours)
  • Shahzada Dawood
  • Suleman Dawood  (19 yo son)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guest #1

Tim Taylor
       (Is an internationally recognized and awarded ocean explorer, advocate, and Founder of Tiburon Subsea.)

Tim's Comments:

No (?rescue) vessel on site yet that can reach the Titanic

Search are is larger than state of Connecticut

Why no pingers?  Why no "Black Box" pinger?

No one is currently searching the ocean floor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guest  #2

Fred  (Alfred)  Hagen  (?on Facebook?)
   (Bucks County explorer and businessman Fred Hagen visited the Titanic wreckage twice aboard the submersible now missing in the North Atlantic)

Fred has taken this trip 2 years in a row.

Fred was on the same expedition with 2 of these current men on Board & missing now, namely ->   
  • Paul Henri Nargeolet  (World Reknown Titanic Expert)
  • Stockton Rush  (CEO, Oceangate (these Tours))
One of Fred's trips, the vessel became wedged in a part of the Titanic, and "they" unwedged the vessel

Another time, one of the Thrusters stopped, & was "dumping weight"

Maybe the above is a little bit more for us to find out info on this??

Prayers for all these Adventurous "Explorers" and their (Waiting)  Loved Ones.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

cbc.ca news

Posted Jul 27, 2022 

This submersible takes passengers to the Titanic … and it has a toilet. (video of inside)

This submersible takes passengers to the Titanic … and it has a toilet |  CBC News

Stockton Rush, founder and CEO of OceanGate.

On my watch – The New World of Adventure Travel, Deep Space to Deep Sea |  Greenwich Sentinel | Greenwich Sentinel

OceanGate, Inc. on LinkedIn: #technology #submersible #deepocean

You can often find interesting vessels in St. John's harbour, but this one is about as special as it gets: a submarine, used for exploratory dives to the wreck of the Titanic. 

The submersible Titan, operated by OceanGate Expeditions, is used to transport all kinds of passengers to the site of the world's most famous shipwreck, including scientists, artists, and well-to-do tourists. The OceanGate crew were in St. John's with the sub after making 10 dives to the wreck site over the past several weeks.

"Titan is the only five-person sub capable of going to the Titanic depth, which is half the depth of the ocean," said Stockton Rush, founder and CEO of OceanGate. The sub's unique, smooth-walled design makes it especially suited to bringing regular people along for the ride.

"There's no switches and things to bump into, we have one button to turn it on. Everything else is done with touch screens and computers, and so you really become part of the vehicle and everybody gets to know everyone pretty well."

The sub also has one very special amenity that guests appreciate. "We have a toilet," said Rush. "We're the only deep-diving sub that actually has a toilet (with privacy curtain), which is a big concern for a lot of people when they're going to spend 10 hours in a sub with four people they barely know."

Titanic submarine missing: Inside the cramped Titan vessel

This is just the second year that OceanGate has used Titan to visit the Titanic, but Stockton says they'll be back next season. He says the enduring fascination with the Titanic helps make all sorts of long-term science possible.

"The love of the Titanic, the interest in the Titanic, is the reason we go there," said Rush, "Almost nowhere else in the deep ocean can you get funding to go back every year for decades, and see how coral reefs develop, and see how metals decay, and see how currents change.

You can't justify that, no government will pay for that, nobody wants to go back to just some old reef. But people do want to go back to the Titanic, and that's why we go, because people want to go."

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   News folks are saying there are 5 people in this capsule. You've noted up to 8 people in that very unsafe thing. For as tiny as it is, there's no way there could be 8 people sucking up all the air in it. 

This appears to turn into another tiny Titanic mishap that could have, should have been totally uncalled for had it been more perfected before even thinking about such a deep sea excursion.

Honored Contributor

With the fact that they sign off (their lives) would be enough to say no for me, plus, an area that small where you have to have someone else get you out of it. ????!!!  Why, really why, and they were to be smart?  No, just no, how could they go?  I don't understand it.  Then there's the game thing for them to use to move it a few times?  Really?  So super sad.  All of it, makes NO sense to me.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest   In this morning's newspaper my husband read that each person in this trip HAD to sign off on three, 3, count them THREE pages of a waiver that noted the word "DEATH" three times just on page one.

Gee, I wonder what the company meant by all of this....

Esteemed Contributor

Mr Dawood’s son, Sulemon is on board not Hamish Harding’s son. The exploration company stated oxygen will run out tomorrow at 6.

They do hear a tapping now but still no recovery.