Honored Contributor

Topic Craft: Sewers and Quilters

Love quilts, but looking at them will be all I'll do. But, what I would like to know is, are there some small projects that can be sewn or quilted or a mix, that you could recommend either by a site or company at a sewing center? I'd love to find an armchair holder for misc. stuff that I can get off the little table I have. Any ideas, thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Topic Craft: Sewers and Quilters

@qualitygal

24Blocks.com

NancyZieman.com

QuiltersCache.com

I don't know if they have a pattern for an armchair organizer but it's a start for you to look.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter, thank you I wrote them down to go visit, Nancy isn't she "Sewing with Nancy"? I like her! Thanks again, I'll check them out.

Honored Contributor

Yes she is @qualitygal.

Another site to try is Emblibrary.com

It's a machine embroidery site, but they have lots of projects that don't necessarily need to be embroidered.  It's a little hard to navigate at times but worth a shot also.

Contributor

I am not a real quilter but i did make what's called the 10 minute table runner.   You can see a video on U-tube.  I took a class at a local quilt shop.  I also made a doily using the dresden plate pattern.  You might find that also on U-tube or even Pinterest.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal I just had a post show up on my Facebook newsfeed from 24Blocks.com with a video and instructions on how to make a bedside caddy, which I know could be adapted to an armchair caddy!

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@qualitygal I just had a post show up on my Facebook newsfeed from 24Blocks.com with a video and instructions on how to make a bedside caddy, which I know could be adapted to an armchair caddy!

Thanks! Not on Facebook, but I can look up armchair caddy and see what I come up with thank you!!

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter, Oh now you went and opened a Pandorah's box on Pinterest for me. All sorts of ideas on caddy's!!! I can do one for a walker, just in case, chair caddy, there also was one for kid's items, and one for the glove compartment.  Now we have at least 3-4 remote controls and to put them in one safe place, in the same area would be nice to say the least.

It would be fun to do that. We just happen to be going this next month, to a large area of shops and one of the stores has a large material store. I'm going to see what I can find..thanks for turning me onto that.  I didn't even think to look in Pinterest for that, beautiful ideas in there. I have to go back for more.

Honored Contributor

I love to sew but find quilting to be very tedious. I have tried once or twice to make a small quilted project and abandoned it before it was completed so now I know better. Just not my thing.

Esteemed Contributor

I learned to quilt years ago when there were no machine made quilts on the market.  Now they are everywhere.

I love them, but the patience and time required for a large quilt are too much for me now.

However, you can buy precut squares, strips and blocks.  There are a million choices.  This greatly speeds the process.  I get an email from a place called Missouri Star Quilts and they have an extensive seleciton AND, lots of online classes. 

You can also buy preprinted quilt tops and just "stitch in the ditch" or tie them.

I volunteer to make fleece blankets for Project Linus and several of the women there just use 45" squares of fabric with light batting in between.  Then, they just tie them at intervals.  Gives the look of a quilt without all the work!

I have tons of precut squares and tops with Halloween themes (my birthday) and have plans to make several small quilts in between my fleece blankets.

Have fun and enjoy!