Honored Contributor

You know some of this reflects badly on the women As @Free2be has stated, she wasn't forced  at all

I would never condone any sort of harassament. It should not happen ,but why bring this up 25 years later, if you weren't raped or forced?  Is it for attention or revenge? It seems pointless to me

Honored Contributor

@TexasMom1 wrote:

I  am going to have to say I find this very hard to believe about Tom Brokaw. I am very disappointed if it turns out to be true, but there is no way to determine this. I have always had utmost respect for Tom Brokaw and his work (along with Chet Huntley and David Brinkley),  and I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

@TexasMom1

Do you know Tom Brokaw personally?  If not, why do you think you know his true character?   

There are lots of men who can look great and speak well on camera, and be real slime balls in real life.   

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC inappropriate

Trusted Contributor

Tom Brokaw's piece was very well-written and from the heart. That being said, I believe her. I truly believe that he has COMPLETELY forgotten what happend and that is why he can write with such conviction. To him it was nothing, to her it was something she still remembers years later.

I've written about how my uncle and his entire family offered me a ride home (15 minute drive) after church. He dropped me off after half a mile (what was the point of that ride?) and told me to figure it out; this was the farthest he was going. It was so humiliating because I had to ask him for a quarter since I didn't have money to call my dad. I was only 13.

I remember every detail about that day but I bet he would look at me completely puzzled and in disbelief if I were to mention it to him.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

....and here we go again...lol

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

Speak up when it happens. To join the bandwagon twenty years later doesn't seem all that courageous to me. Be a hero and protect others from the damage right away.

@AuntG

Oh, please .....  this has been going on forever, and men keep getting away with it because either women are too afraid of retaliation or, usually, they aren't believed.   What if someone speaks up and they say, yeah, right .... and do nothing?  Who wants to be humiliated on top of the humiliation of the sordid attack?  What's courageous about doing something that will only hurt you and accomplish nothing for the predator?

There are many things that have been swept under the carpet for too long .... domestic violence, incest, sexual attacks and harassment.    The list goes on.

It's so naive to say "just speak up" .....  that doesn't guarantee that anything will be done.   Haven't you read anything on this?

So you are saying, don't speak up when it happens? Sad. You might want to crawl out of your cave.

@RetRN

No, that's not what I'm saying and I'm surprised you could glean that from my comments.

Too many posters are saying and thinking that unless they spoke up immediately, then it must not have really happened and all the women are liars.

The reason the MeToo movement has caught fire is because men got away with this for far too long and women are standing together to speak up .... and finally be believed.    

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

Intelligent response. Seems odd reading women shaming women. 

Not around here it doesn't.

I have to wonder what's worse-being sexually harassed by a man or the judgment from other women about that harassment and  about your response to it. Might be a tie sometimes.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Speak up when it happens. To join the bandwagon twenty years later doesn't seem all that courageous to me. Be a hero and protect others from the damage right away.

@AuntG  That all sounds good and all....but when it is you....and it is your job....your income.... your word against someone so powerful....it may not be that easy at the time. Being a Hero is not that easy when it comes to  predatory sexual conduct in the work place. 

Respected Contributor

I don't know if anyone will agree, but I will say what I think about this issue, I and a number of people I know were assaulted by men in "professional" relations. 

But. . . I was also occasionally greeted by inappropriate remarks and tentative physical contact. To me, _ it is not the same thing_. 

Those things you decline,say, no don't do that again and it goes away. 

I have a problem with a woman who would bring up tickling or groping decades later.   Did the woman lack vocal cords and instincts to say no?

When "no" works and no law is broken, well, it's one thing to me; sexual assault and criminal offenses are, imo, another.  And if the accusation is a matter of a criminal offtense, it's best to wait for the trial and the verdict.

I super don't like judging people by their accusers alone.  That isn't the American way.  It's not fair.

Honored Contributor

I think there is a distinction between a pass, and sexual harassment

Who hasn't had a pass made at them?  I don't think anyone of us have managed to escape that. You smack the guy ,and tell him off, and that is that. He leaves you alone

Harassment is entirely different. It is like trying to  make someone afraid of you, by sexually intimidating them ,over and over again. Sort of like the  Midnight Lace film

They want to see you frightened and intimidated. It gives them a high. It's not a stolen kiss, one time..It's about power ,and a sick sense of self entitlement...it is just a form of torture