Honored Contributor

-
Esteemed Contributor

What makes one persons story more belivable than anothers?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Speak up when it happens. To join the bandwagon twenty years later doesn't seem all that courageous to me. Be a hero and protect others from the damage right away.

@AuntG

What you voice here is not a very popular stance, but one I have touted throughout this whole time.

In reality, women fought and won so much for us in the 1960's and 1970's, and it seems like in the 80's and 90's we allowed the progress made to erode. 

If a woman chooses to 'play along to get along' I see it as a choice (stupid one in my opinion, but a choice nonetheless). If they are drugged and taken advantage of, it is a different story. If they have their jobs held over their heads, a tough choice, but one that should have been made.

The problem is all  have occurred. Some women went with it, some were forced, and even more were let go/passed over for refusing. I'm afraid now, telling the difference isn't going to be easy, and some women really have no right to complain about it, as they consented.

But for the most part, so many women not coming forward forcefully and loudly in the last 30 years is simply inexcusable. It paved the way for it to continue to effect women on down through the years. 

Let's face it, it wasn't going to be easy. Coming forward would mean a loss of jobs, opportunity, roles, it would mean public humiliation, defamation etc. but I really don't understand how so very many women allowed it to continue for so long. If the big reveal can be made now, it could have been done 30 years ago, and I'm perplexed as to why it didn't. I think for many (certainly not all), the choice was to put up with it/participate in it, to get where they wanted to be. In the long run that was very harmful to women and their role in business. 

As for Brokaw's name in it now, I'm not surprised.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Sure hope little George Stepanopulus hasn't reason to worry

I bet 99.9 % of men are worried.....

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Speak up when it happens. To join the bandwagon twenty years later doesn't seem all that courageous to me. Be a hero and protect others from the damage right away.

@AuntG

Oh, please .....  this has been going on forever, and men keep getting away with it because either women are too afraid of retaliation or, usually, they aren't believed.   What if someone speaks up and they say, yeah, right .... and do nothing?  Who wants to be humiliated on top of the humiliation of the sordid attack?  What's courageous about doing something that will only hurt you and accomplish nothing for the predator?

There are many things that have been swept under the carpet for too long .... domestic violence, incest, sexual attacks and harassment.    The list goes on.

It's so naive to say "just speak up" .....  that doesn't guarantee that anything will be done.   Haven't you read anything on this?

Honored Contributor

Tom seems to be very much a gentleman, i really hope this is not true.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

In this case I think Vester's complaints are weak.  Not that they aren't true from her perspective.

In the conference room there were a number of witnesses.  I seriously doubt Brokaw did anything but tickle her around her waist, probably a quick move as is not uncommon to do amongst friends or to someone standing in the way.  With witnesses, it is unlikely it would have appeared an offensive act.  Men need to keep hands to themselves -- he shouldn't have his career tarnished for this.

When he called about coming to her room and she didn't say no, he would have taken it as acceptable.  She had another opportunity to turn him away at the door and didn't.  Two times he could have thought he was about to have a good time.  She resisted his advances and he left. 

Apparently another woman had made an accusation against him.  I don't know those details but I do believe there are few men, especially elderly, who were never told "no" after making an unwanted advance.

At least, it seems he respected her "no" once she made it clear.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I find an accusation against Tom Brokow very hard to believe.

@Kachina624

Why?   Because he speaks well on camera?  How do any of us know what anyone on camera is like in real life?

Men, especially powerful men, did things because they could get away with it .... didn't you see the Access Hollywood conversation tape?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@AuntG

Oh, please .....  this has been going on forever, and men keep getting away with it because either women are too afraid of retaliation or, usually, they aren't believed.   What if someone speaks up and they say, yeah, right .... and do nothing?  Who wants to be humiliated on top of the humiliation of the sordid attack?  What's courageous about doing something that will only hurt you and accomplish nothing for the predator?

There are many things that have been swept under the carpet for too long .... domestic violence, incest, sexual attacks and harassment.    The list goes on.

It's so naive to say "just speak up" .....  that doesn't guarantee that anything will be done.   Haven't you read anything on this?

So you are saying, don't speak up when it happens? Sad. You might want to crawl out of your cave.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

Intelligent response. Seems odd reading women shaming women.