Respected Contributor

NEXT !

Honored Contributor

What did Tom Brokaw do?  Or is alleged to have done?

Honored Contributor

It seems that a lot of high profile men have something to worry about.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr

Linda Vester, who had reported from the Middle East and covered the Gulf War for NBC, was 28 when she was in Colorado in 1993 with Brokaw to cover Pope John Paul II's visit to the U.S.

"We were in the Denver bureau, and there was a conference room. I'm standing there, and Tom Brokaw enters through the door and grabs me from behind and proceeds to tickle me up and down my waist."

Vester said others were in the room, but no one "acted like anything wrong was happening.

Vester said the following year in New York, Brokaw sent her suggestive computer messages in the office before later announcing on the phone that he was coming to her hotel room.

Vester said she felt powerless to tell him not to come.

"He grabbed me behind my neck and tried to force me to kiss him. I was shocked to feel the amount of force and his full strength on me."

She said Brokaw left when she broke away and made it clear she did not want any more.

Vester left NBC in 1999 .......

Respected Contributor

Brokaw, who is 78 and has been married since 1962, denied doing anything inappropriate.

"I met with Linda Vester on two occasions, both at her request, 23 years ago because she wanted advice with respect to her career at NBC... "The meetings were brief, cordial and appropriate, and despite Linda's allegations, I made no romantic overtures towards her at that time or any other."

Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

@ValuSkr

Linda Vester, who had reported from the Middle East and covered the Gulf War for NBC, was 28 when she was in Colorado in 1993 with Brokaw to cover Pope John Paul II's visit to the U.S.

"We were in the Denver bureau, and there was a conference room. I'm standing there, and Tom Brokaw enters through the door and grabs me from behind and proceeds to tickle me up and down my waist."

Vester said others were in the room, but no one "acted like anything wrong was happening.

Vester said the following year in New York, Brokaw sent her suggestive computer messages in the office before later announcing on the phone that he was coming to her hotel room.

Vester said she felt powerless to tell him not to come.

"He grabbed me behind my neck and tried to force me to kiss him. I was shocked to feel the amount of force and his full strength on me."

She said Brokaw left when she broke away and made it clear she did not want any more.

Vester left NBC in 1999 .......

If she didn't have the integrity and/or backbone to tell him not to come, it's on her IMHO.

Honored Contributor

They both have good credentials, and no history of scandalous behavior, as far I as I can tell. It seems like it is a he said, she said, ,so far

Honored Contributor

I find an accusation against Tom Brokow very hard to believe.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

My daughter was 19 at the time. She had never been subjected to this type of behavior before

She wasn't anyone that was influential at all. She told the truth, and the plant folded because of this. There was a lot of things they did, that were unethical ,to many people

She had our backing, and  lived at home, so she knew she was safe. She had to change jobs because of it.  

@cherry

So many things happened to me during my working years right into to my fifties, and I just told off whoever it was!  I knew I would get nowhere reporting it.  I could have "owned" several firms if things were then as they are now. 

However, those who tried it never tried it again after my tongue lashing.  I was never afraid of any of them!  You really had to be your own advocate back in those days.   

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

I  am going to have to say I find this very hard to believe about Tom Brokaw. I am very disappointed if it turns out to be true, but there is no way to determine this. I have always had utmost respect for Tom Brokaw and his work (along with Chet Huntley and David Brinkley),  and I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.