Honored Contributor

Re: Today show peice on Masks

A test I watched on the news several weeks (a few?  I can't keep track these days) with Sanjay Gupta showed the trajectory of respiratory droplets when someone speaks, with a mask and without a mask (these were not N95 masks).

The droplets were definitely a lot less and travelled a much shorter distance with the mask than without.

And since this virus (and many others, I believe) is transmitted through respiratory droplets, this test seems to me to be a lot more demonstrative than the TODAY one (which I didn't see).

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Maybe bacteria was the wrong word, how about speutum would that be a better choice of words, if you have C19 you are coughing out stuff which should follow the same principal

So basically they're saying when *we* cough in our masks it's not so contaminated as some have said.  I'm not sure if I've even coughed in my mask. 

Or are they saying the petri dishes didn't have any contamination?  Or both?

It's a shame they don't have a COVID 19 patient do this test, it shouldn't cause them any harm and could be very helpful.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Maybe bacteria was the wrong word, how about speutum would that be a better choice of words, if you have C19 you are coughing out stuff which should follow the same principal

So basically they're saying when *we* cough in our masks it's not so contaminated as some have said.  I'm not sure if I've even coughed in my mask. 

It's a shame they don't have a COVID 19 patient do this test, it shouldn't cause them any harm and could be very helpful.  

It says all the bacteria remains in the mask so you can breath it all back into your lungs.  Virus likely went right through.

Viruses require living cells to replicate.  A petri dish is an artificial medium typically used for bacteria samples

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

A test I watched on the news several weeks (a few?  I can't keep track these days) with Sanjay Gupta showed the trajectory of respiratory droplets when someone speaks, with a mask and without a mask (these were not N95 masks).

The droplets were definitely a lot less and travelled a much shorter distance with the mask than without.

And since this virus (and many others, I believe) is transmitted through respiratory droplets, this test seems to me to be a lot more demonstrative than the TODAY one (which I didn't see).

@QueenDanceALot, I saw something similar as well.  It showed people normally speaking, people yelling and people singing and how much further the droplets traveled when singing, shouting or even the louder one spoke. 

Super Contributor

@LindaSal

I pray that it's not tne 'new norm'!

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy 

LOL We all have our standards, but this witless "experiment" would've gotten me booted out of the Focus (Science) Club, and guffaws in science class.

You're correct. Since they were measuring bacteria, I'm sure they used agar rather than a viral transport medium.

I'm sure this "experiment" will change the minds of members of the medical community who, until this "experiment," still disagreed about the efficacy of wearing masks.

Not.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm 

No droplets penetrated and were shown to be there a few days later 

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

@noodleann   Have you seen the article that states a person using a mouthwash kills covid19 as does hydrogen peroixide and that baking soda does not provide an environment in the mouth or throat for covid to survive, if one uses that in a mouthwash or toothpaste for that matter.  (Hyrdrogen peroxide as in 3% maximum).  

The article further stated that anything done to prevent the virus from entering the lungs is the goal. 

Respected Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

@noodleann   Have you seen the article that states a person using a mouthwash kills covid19 as does hydrogen peroixide and that baking soda does not provide an environment in the mouth or throat for covid to survive, if one uses that in a mouthwash or toothpaste for that matter.  (Hyrdrogen peroxide as in 3% maximum).  

The article further stated that anything done to prevent the virus from entering the lungs is the goal. 

I missed that article. Amazing how much info is out there.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

I missed that article. Amazing how much info is out there.

I googled that, and found this on Fox News:

"Some brands of mouthwash can eliminate certain microbes for a few minutes in the saliva in your mouth," the spokesman added. "However this doesn’t mean they protect you from COVID-19 infection."

In a statement posted to its website, Johnson & Johnson, which makes Listerine mouthwash, said rinsing with it does not kill the virus.

"[Listerine] mouthwash has not been tested against the coronavirus and is not intended to prevent or treat COVID-19," the company wrote. "Consumers should follow the preventive measures issued by the World Health Organization including washing hands frequently, maintaining social distance and avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth."

Listerine added that it should also not be used as a substitute for hand sanitizer, as it only contains around 20 percent alcohol. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends hand sanitizers have 60 percent alcohol.