Honored Contributor

Today show peice on Masks

[ Edited ]

The reporter coughed into a petri dish without a mask, then did the same thing, with a surgical, cloth and N 95 mask.

They let the dishes grow for a few days and as expected the unmasked face grew bacteria BUT there was nothing on any of the three masks. I found this fascinating

EDITED - THE CORRECT WORD IS DROPLETS

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: Today show peice on Masks

So the cloth mask ,did as well as the N95?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox that proves the point that masks are effective ! So really there was NO bacteria on the other dishes, meaning the different types of masks were equally effective? That's even more fascinating.

I wear handmade cloth masks.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest 

Yes it did 

@goldensrbest wrote:

So the cloth mask ,did as well as the N95?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

That is very surprising.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I'm wondering whether the three masks were equally effective or that there was little-to-nothing to filter in the first place. The test is inconclusive for me.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG 

The reporter coughed several times as she did on the first mask

@IamMrsG wrote:

I'm wondering whether the three masks were equally effective or that there was little-to-nothing to filter in the first place. The test is inconclusive for me.

Esteemed Contributor

No surprise here, I always thought mask wearing was a good idea.  That was such nonsense saying not to wear them in the beginning.  It was only because they were worried about the shortage of them for the hospitals.  So the heck with everybody else?

I think it's the new norm for us now, we'll most likely always be wearing them in public at least.  Better to be safe.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal 

Sorry you missed the point, it is showing that all three masks are equal in blocking the bad stuff

@LindaSal wrote:

No surprise here, I always thought mask wearing was a good idea.  That was such nonsense saying not to wear them in the beginning.  It was only because they were worried about the shortage of them for the hospitals.  So the heck with everybody else?

I think it's the new norm for us now, we'll most likely always be wearing them in public at least.  Better to be safe.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That sounds like a crude test of ONE DIRECTION. We already "knew," or had been told, that masks help contain our own germs and protect others. The critical question is whether any besides the N95 protect us from INHALING VIRUSES.

ETA that bacterial growth is one thing, this is a virus. Protection FROM INHALING THE VIRUS is all that matters to me; this is just silly handwaving.