Honored Contributor

Re: To those who live alone . . .

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

no, no, close the blinds in the living room when it gets dark while I'm in there. Open the  blinds partially in the bedroom once the light is out so I can see dawn breaking.

I have cellular shades that open top down, bottom up.  They are ivory, so when the sun rises right outside my windows, my bedroom looks golden through the shades.  Wakes me up every morning unless it's cloudy.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Did your daughter move away?

No, that's why I'm asking . . . because we do things so differently.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

I would not be able to sleep with my bedroom door closed. I want to see what's coming (if anything). I live in a ranch, so I can see all the way down the hall.

Bathroom, closed if showering because the steam sets off my smoke detector.

"Depends" on other times in bathroom, I just flick it with my hand behind me. If it makes to to "closed", it is. Most times it only closes halfway.

My father used to walk around the house and close all the doors. I never knew why? He never said "shut the door", he would just go around and shut them. Odd quirk LOL. I wish he was alive, I would ask him now.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Did your daughter move away?

No, that's why I'm asking . . . because we do things so differently.

People just develop habits due to years of living experience. When I had roommates (one with a teenage son) and now that I live with family, I can't live like I did when I was alone - no bathroom doors open for sure, lol. I now often keep my bedroom door closed not only for privacy, but noise - someone else's TV, etc. In the city I drew the curtains, here in the country I don't - and it helps wake me up ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As soon as it gets dark, my Mom closes the blinds, and locks up for the night.   She does not sleep with the bedroom door closed.   

I insist on closing our front door as soon as it is dark enough to turn on a light.  All front windows have blackout drapes, and the front door is solid, no glass, so you cannot see into the house from the main road.   When I am home alone, I keep all screen doors locked at all times, and none of them can be yanked open.   As soon as I lock my front door, I set my alarm for the night.   I do not shut my bedroom door, but have loaded guns accessible on each side of my bed.   Tampering with any window or door on this house would set off the alarm system, and I have a booster siren on the outside of my house that can be heard for miles.    

Honored Contributor

When I did live alone my answers are:

1 no

2 no for #2 but yes for #1 (you asked)

3 yes. 

Super Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@ChillyTulip wrote:

I never understood how people don't have even a shade on their windows.  I'm amazed how many times we've driven at night and were able to see right into people's houses . . . . watching TV, etc.  Weird.  And creepy.  I had a friend whose home backed to woods and it was such an unnerving feeling to be sitting in the LR at night and wondering who was out there creeping on us. 

When I am home alone, I never shut my bedroom door.  A few years ago we had a man break into a woman's home who was home alone sleeping.  He found her bedroom door locked so he went to the front door and rang the doorbell then hid outside her bedroom door.  When she opened it she was attacked.  That freaked me out ever since so no, the door stays open because I want to be able to HEAR what is going on in the house.

This is part of the reason I asked this question.  When my daughter was married, they had a huge house with cathedral ceilings in the living room and TV room (connected).  They had floor to ceiling windows and never closed the curtains anywhere in the house.  When I lived there for a short time, it made me feel very creepy that anyone could see in anytime.  And we also had woods in the back and anyone could scope us out anytime. 

So my daughter still does that in our apartment on the first floor.  She leaves all of the shades not only not pulled down, but opened up all the way.  We have a silent war with me pulling shades down at night.

As far as our bedroom doors, she likes her privacy and I like mine.  But even when I lived alone on the second floor, I always closed my bedroom door.

I keep my bathroom door closed even when I'm not using it.  That's new since I am disabled . . . because it looks like a hospital bathroom in there!!  It freaks my granddaughters out!!  They use their mom's bathroom because it looks like a normal bathroom.

@LilacTree I understand perfectly about closing the shades at night! I cannot believe that people don't realize anyone driving by can see you and the contents of your house, big screen TV, etc. 

I get too much light during morning hours as my apartment windows face East so the blinds stay closed until afternoon. Even then, they are only opened half way up as there are other renters walking back and forth in front of those windows daily. At night all closed.

I do not close my bedroom door or bathroom door. Actually, I sleep in my recliner in the living room because of back problems so I can relate to the bathroom resembling a hospital bathroom.

Super Contributor

OP, do you or do you not live with your daughter? I am confused.

Honored Contributor

@glorybe

I can't remember my beloved sister ever sleeping in a bed.  She always slept in a recliner in the living room.  She didn't have back problems, I think it was because she smoked and did not want to chance smoking in a bed. 

I should really be sleeping in a recliner because my back is so bad, but I have to be in my bedroom in a bed in order to sleep, don't know why.  I do have a triangular foam pillow at the top of my bed that keeps me somewhat raised so I'm not lying completely flat.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

@glorybe

I can't remember my beloved sister ever sleeping in a bed.  She always slept in a recliner in the living room.  She didn't have back problems, I think it was because she smoked and did not want to chance smoking in a bed. 

I should really be sleeping in a recliner because my back is so bad, but I have to be in my bedroom in a bed in order to sleep, don't know why.  I do have a triangular foam pillow at the top of my bed that keeps me somewhat raised so I'm not lying completely flat.

@LilacTree

I recently had a fall and broke a rib and trying to sleep lying flat with my regular pillows was SO painful!

I bought one of those triangular pillows from BBB and it really helped the pain of breathing so much!

Best money I ever spent!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.