Honored Contributor
On 4/7/2014 lulu2 said:

R&R, I've never heard of volunteers feeding babies, but there many other things you could do. I work in the gift shop 1 day a week. It is something you might enjoy doing.

I have heard of programs in hospitals that have addicted babies and need people to hold and rock them, I guess bonding time type thing. Perhaps with the changing face of healthcare, it might not be done anymore, or in very limited programs in certain hospitals.

Super Contributor

I won't be able to stand even one hour at a time......I will have to sit and then stand when I feel better........so if I am giving my time and they need the help they will have to understand I will stand until I can't stand then I will have to sit....the shops in the hospital here is very small. I would love to stand for three hours but I can't even stand usually 30 minutes without sitting and resting.

Super Contributor
On 4/7/2014 i like celery said:

R&R, You might want to go to the hospital's Volunteer Office, and speak to someone in person, if you don't receive a call back. Hopefully the person you spoke to on the phone will give your phone number and message to the appropriate person, but you'll need to go to the Volunteer Office anyway to fill out an application. Also, I think most hospitals have orientations each volunteer needs to complete before volunteering, so you'll need to speak to someone about that, too. Good luck!

Thank you I like celery..........I will want to start in June........so there may be a few places to see if the hospital can't use me.

Respected Contributor

R & R, have you thought about volunteering at the public library? Not shelving books or working in the stacks, but sitting at the front desk, assisting patrons, scanning the returns or checking out books. You would be good at it.

Super Contributor

That is a good idea to scan things...........I will check this out if the hospital babies and store does not work.

Honored Contributor

I too applaud those that take up some of their time helping others on a volunteer basis. The includes any and all type of volunteers, including those that do so to help animals. There are always needs for volunteers in many different aspects of life. One only need look and they can usually find someone or someplace that needs someone to volunteer their time for an organization or on a more personal basis like 1 on 1.

Been a volunteer in many organizations most of my adult life and it runs a sizable gamut of different things. From racing, both cars and foot road races/hockey fan clubs and several different animal groups that do so much to work with and help the poor homeless animals.

From my position of being a long time volunteer I can honestly say that "I get more out of giving" than the amount of time and work I spend doing it. It is very rewarding to do this and many feel they are getting more in return than they are giving, and that is only natural for those that offer their time to help others.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Good Idea HW.

Esteemed Contributor
On 4/7/2014 lulu2 said:

R&R, I've never heard of volunteers feeding babies, but there many other things you could do. I work in the gift shop 1 day a week. It is something you might enjoy doing.

I have.

One of the local news stations where I live featured the story of this guy who was a pretty strict high school teacher and coach, and none of his students knew he spent some of his free time feeding and holding infants at the hospital. It was a cute story.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

My brother told me that when he was at the hospital with my dad on Saturday, he could hear a patient sobbing in the next room after someone left the room. He suspected she'd gotten some bad news. He said he wanted to go over there to console her, but he didn't know how to go about it, or if it would be appropriate.

I wouldn't mind being a shoulder to cry on for people in her situation. It would be a very difficult job, but I believe that the kindness of a stranger can be transforming for some people.

I think that if I were crying in my hospital bed and a non-threatening-looking stranger came in and put their hand on my shoulder and held my hand as I sobbed, I would feel cared for...and it would give me a stronger belief in humanity.

I wonder if there is a way to volunteer for such a position...so I wouldn't just be a random (possibly creepy) stranger. I think the fact that I'm a woman would make people less creeped out, but obtaining a hospital identification would be the only way of going about that sort of thing with any regularity.

I know that hospitals have chaplains, but some people do not have religious affiliations...and those people need comforting too.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Trusted Contributor
On 4/8/2014 mistriTsquirrel said:

My brother told me that when he was at the hospital with my dad on Saturday, he could hear a patient sobbing in the next room after someone left the room. He suspected she'd gotten some bad news. He said he wanted to go over there to console her, but he didn't know how to go about it, or if it would be appropriate.

I wouldn't mind being a shoulder to cry on for people in her situation. It would be a very difficult job, but I believe that the kindness of a stranger can be transforming for some people.

I think that if I were crying in my hospital bed and a non-threatening-looking stranger came in and put their hand on my shoulder and held my hand as I sobbed, I would feel cared for...and it would give me a stronger belief in humanity.

I wonder if there is a way to volunteer for such a position...so I wouldn't just be a random (possibly creepy) stranger. I think the fact that I'm a woman would make people less creeped out, but obtaining a hospital identification would be the only way of going about that sort of thing with any regularity.

I know that hospitals have chaplains, but some people do not have religious affiliations...and those people need comforting too.

Check with the local United Way. They act as a clearinghouse for volunteer opportunities in your community. They'll have a database you can access that will detail the various opportunities. You could also talk to them about what you want to do and they can put you in contact with the appropriate person at the local hospital, hospice and/or medical clinic.