Esteemed Contributor

Tired of paying extra for bad tasting organic fruit and vegetables

I have been hearing all about how great organic food is so Imhave been purchasing some organic produce. It always cost about a third more than non organic. I assumed it would taste better than non organic so was worth the extra cost. Sorry but Imhave been sadly disappointed in what I have purchased. The organic products taste no better than the non organic and in several cases is just awful. I think it's all nothing but hype and I am not wasting my money anymore
Respected Contributor

Re: Tired of paying extra for bad tasting organic fruit and vegetables

Not all organic is equal.  I find that buying local is a better indicator of whether it will be good or not.  I live in a region where I have access to locally grown organic produce, so I feel fortunate.  At the very least, I would look up the Dirty Dozen list online..the 12 items you should try to buy organic.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

I have purchased organic vine ripened tomatoes at Whole Foods that were all green inside and tasted terrible.  They have a very good refund policy and won't dispute it but my husband liked the taste of those green tomatoes and ate all of them.  I stopped buying those as it happened twice in a row recently over there.  I perodically buy organic produce from other stores too and so far have had good luck.  Don't want my liver to work overtime processing out the pesticides so I do buy organic for some things.  

Valued Contributor

Do you have access to a local farmers market where you can purchase locally sourced produce? That is often better and much more affordable if you know the farmer and know their methods are truly organic.
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't had a really great tomato since we moved from New Jersey years ago. I am tired of all the tasteless produce that passes for the real thing in grocery stores
Honored Contributor

I've heard that it's a waste of money to buy organic fruit or veggie items that have a thick skin or peel. This includes bananas, apples, oranges, cucumbers, etc. The pesticides won't penetrate them, and you can wash them thoroughly anyway. I'm not an expert re. this, but it seems to make sense to me.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:
I haven't had a really great tomato since we moved from New Jersey years ago. I am tired of all the tasteless produce that passes for the real thing in grocery stores

Jersey tomatoes are still the best.  That being said, my husband and I think they were better 20+ years ago. Growers have gone crazy with different varieties.  Years ago there were not all that many but all of them were delicious. 

Honored Contributor

I grew up on a farm so I have eaten locally (as in right in our backyard) grown produce since I was a child. When i buy the "organic" grown produce at the market it is more expensive to start with , and then much more gets tossed due to be being bug eaten - like lettuce leaves etc, I simply can't afford to by organic. I'll take my chances with regular produce that I wash throughly.

Trusted Contributor

Organic means that the product was grown without chemical pesticides and fertilizor.It doesn't necessarily taste better. It may not look as perfect as non-organics. The theory that thick peels protects the product from pesticides doesn't really hold true, as the plant roots will absorb any chemical residue and pass it to the fruit. I buy organics at Aldi's, and find them to be very reasonably priced.

Respected Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:
I've heard that it's a waste of money to buy organic fruit or veggie items that have a thick skin or peel. This includes bananas, apples, oranges, cucumbers, etc. The pesticides won't penetrate them, and you can wash them thoroughly anyway. I'm not an expert re. this, but it seems to make sense to me.

I have read this too. Organic strawberries definitely taste better, and is one of the foods highly contaminated, so you should definitely buy organic. But I have been disappointed with both the organic and non organic peaches, the non organic blueberries don't taste great either. The organic lettuce is definitely superior. Farmers market organic is the best tasting. I taste no difference in avacodos, but org beans are def better. Organic mango tastes the same, and so do bananas. I could give you more, but the point is that it's a mixed bag. I have not tasted a decent tomato since I was a kid.