Valued Contributor

For anyone who has used a moving company, what would be a proper tip for three men doing the pick up and off loading. It will be the same crew and it is long distance.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tipping movers

[ Edited ]

@Elom, my circumstance was. Bit different.  Short haul move.  Delivery from storage.  We provided pizza/burgers lunch and gave each $20.  That was 12 years ago.  LM

Respected Contributor

We moved across town.  Our guys worked like pack mules hauling furniture up and down stairs. We have a fairly large house. They packed up the truck one day and unloaded it the next day. We probably had 5 or 6 guys on the job between the two days. We handed the head mover $500 and asked him to split it up accordingly. We watched him do it. I would tip an appliance delivery guy $20 but the movers worked for hours

Respected Contributor

When we moved from central NY to southwest FL, it was done by two men and a moving truck. I didn't handle the financing, but DH tipped them well, especially because they didn't just drop everything in the garage and go. They put everything where we wanted it.

Super Contributor

For my most recent move, cross country, entire household (no stairs either end) I gave the guys $100 each as they left my old house, $100 each at the new place, and meals at both.

Honored Contributor

Unless they do something extraordinarily above and beyond what's expected of them, I wouldn't tip them.  They're well-paid by their employer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Coming from an expert at moving (over 40 times during my lifetime, thirteen of them as a child).  A lot of the times family members did the moving.  Since I relocated to SJ, it was mostly my girls' friends, and I always made them a good meal because they wouldn't take money. 

I had pretty good experiences with most other movers and always tipped them dependent on how many there were.  I had one very scary experience that I can't believe I fell for, and that was within the last six years.  I called an 800 number moving service and the guy who answered sounded like a real gentleman.  They used subcontractors depending upon the area.  What showed up was three really scary looking guys in a truck that was falling apart.  They spoke among themselves in some kind of arabic sounding language.

I was very sick that day, so fortunately, I had two girlfriends whom I called, not to move anything but just to be there with me.  The main guy was constantly trying to up the price, wanting to wrap things, etc., and I kept saying no.  It was a tiny apartment, just bedroom furniture and some living room furniture and otherwise just boxes.

They followed me to my new apartment (not this one) and I heard that truck clanging behind me and actually thought they were going to break down.  The main guy was really upset when he found out I was on the second floor and they had to take an elevator.

After they got everything in, I gave them $90 ($30 each) and he had a screaming fit.  "What am I supposed to do with this?" he yelled.  Unfortunately that was all I had other than the moving charge which was $600 which I gave him a check.  Fortunately, my one friend yelled back "look at this woman, does she look rich to you?"  They finally left, and I was never so relieved in my life!!

Three years later when I moved here with my daughter (because I needed a second bedroom), I called a local company and they were great.  And they only charged $400 for the move (same stuff, approximately same distance).  I bought pizza for them and gave them $100, and they smiled and were friendly, saying "good luck in your new home," a totally different experience.

Moral:  Don't ever call an 800 number for anything . . . you never know what you're going to get.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Nothing.

$0.00

They are paid by their employer.

Respected Contributor

I always tip at least $20 per mover.  If it was an especially big job or involved a lot of stairs, I would tip more. 

Honored Contributor

We moved last year but stayed in our town.  Big house, lots of stuff, very long day for the movers.  Started at 8 am and had to bring in more movers during the day.  They had everything in by 10 pm.  There were 6 to 8 movers and we tipped them each $100.  We had also provided pizza sometime during the day.  Frankly, they didn't seem thrilled with the tip.  I thought it was fair as they didn't work for free.  The move was very expensive.