Honored Contributor

Unless someone blatantly asks for a tip or holds out their hands, how is a tip expected?

Super Contributor

I think the problem lies where people think that they have to tip every single person that crosses their path, or that they say "hello" to.

What's next? Tipping the airline pilot who flew you from point "A" to point "B"?

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Esteemed Contributor
On 7/15/2014 brii said:

Unless someone blatantly asks for a tip or holds out their hands, how is a tip expected?

The jar or box or other container with a big "TIPS" sign on it somewhere between order and pickup.

I'm sure you've seen them. And probably fed them. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor
Maybe a gift card to a restaurant or something? I am guilty of being a "tipper"... Deliveries, house movers, installers....I tip them all....
Occasional Contributor

DH and I always provided a cooler with cold bottled water and I've made cookies. The guys seem to appreciate it. Our contractors have worked for us for many years and any time I have offered a ""tip"" it has been politely declined.

Esteemed Contributor
On 7/15/2014 Yuban3 said:

I think the problem lies where people think that they have to tip every single person that crosses their path, or that they say "hello" to.

What's next? Tipping the airline pilot who flew you from point "A" to point "B"?

Only if he gets me safely to point B. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

No. These days it seems everybody who works wants a tip. It is getting absurd.

Honored Contributor
On 7/15/2014 esmerelda said:
On 7/15/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 7/15/2014 twopeas said:

I often tip. It may just be $10 cash to the fellow that hauls our junk away so that he can grab lunch. I tipped the two guys that installed our bedroom carpet. They were young and so appreciative ~ plus did a splendid job. I added a couple hundred bucks for our new roof contractors and some large equipment work that was done on some property we own. Had a new door installed and tipped. I don't have a guideline, just do what feels right at the time. I also tip well at restaurants. My dh and I have a comfortable living and many do not, so it makes me happy to "share".

and i think that that is what it is all about......if you want to and can, then feel free to tip whoever you want whatever you want, especially those who are not normally tipped. i generally lean towards tipping people also.

i am not sure i understand why some people get upset if OTHERS want to tip...... and vice versa.

I don't think anyone is upset if others want to tip...or not. The "upset" is with the idea that it's become expected.

the op asked if she should give a tip.....there were some that were "upset" that she even THOUGHT about giving a tip to a construction worker. it isnt a business where it is expected.....but i do believe that if you want to give a tip, then give one.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor
On 7/15/2014 stilltamn8r said: Maybe a gift card to a restaurant or something? I am guilty of being a "tipper"... Deliveries, house movers, installers....I tip them all....

i tip quite a bit also stilltamn8r, even to those who are in a non-traditional "no-tip" business.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

No Way! Contractors take a certain percentage at the get go, then add a charge to all of the sub's work. For example, if an electrician charges $150 for a certain job such as a socket, the contractor adds another $150 or more to it so the customer pays $300. or more, at least that is what mine has been doing.