Honored Contributor

Re: Times Square New Year's Eve Question

When I was younger I wanted to go but never did.  One problem was the bathroom issue and it never occurred to me to use an adult diaper.  Never knew that sort of thing existed when I was in my 20s plus Times Square and NYC was very bad back in the 70s.

Once the 80s came around I had kids.  Now it just sounds like a miserable time to me....unless I could go into a nice private party overlooking the festivities.

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:
Once you are in the pen you are then until the ball drops. I have lived in the NY area my entire life and never had the desire to do the Times Square thnng

Exactly the same for me.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Honored Contributor

I have never been there on New Year's Eve, nor is that on my bucket list, LOL. I do know of people who have attended, and l've heard stories about them having to wear adult absorbent products, and the wet items freeze on a cold night, if you get my drift! I imagine it's terribly uncomfortable!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

@newjerseygirl wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:
Once you are in the pen you are then until the ball drops. I have lived in the NY area my entire life and never had the desire to do the Times Square thnng

Exactly the same for me.

The same for me too!

Valued Contributor

Born and raised in NYC. There are bars and restaurants all over the area. We always hung out in the bars, used their bathrooms and could freely go in and out. The City was always cold and sometimes snowy. Last time I went, we all rented a room in a hotel right in Times Square. We watched the ball drop from our window.

It is fun, much more so when you are young!

Esteemed Contributor

Any gathering of over the max of 18,000 people? Don't like huge crowds and that is why we quit going to Nascar Sprint Cup (were Winston Cup at the time) races. Too danged many people for my liking.

Went to 1 Nebraska football game, 80,000 people. Never again.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I lived on the East Coast for many years and always wanted to go and see this "live." But I couldn't get one friend to go with me in all that time. :-(

I know one person who went by himself one year and had no problems. I think he said that someone held his standing place and let him back if he had to use a bathroom.

If I was to do this now I think @Ceci 's way would be the way to - watching through a hotel window. I saw a story on the news about nearby restuarants that were offering packages that included the ability to watch the ball drop. The cheapest was approx. $500.

Trusted Contributor

The cold never appealed to me.  I am from west coast.  The Police Chief said   6,000 cops in the crowd and snipers on the rooftops.   That thought doesn't appeal to me either--tedEbear

Respected Contributor

never been, never cared to...I would rather lay on my couch with ny bottle of chocolate milk and watch the festivities...

Esteemed Contributor

I have been there multiple times including y2k which was my last.  The crowds were not as big years ago and easier to move around....I hung out in bars and stayed in a nearby hotel once so used the bathrooms there....I enjoyed the experience and people were fun and friendly....I am glad I did it when I did but have no desire to repeat the experience again