Honored Contributor

Re: Time For The Dreaded Grocery Store.

Actually, I dread grocery shopping in summer when things start thawing out. I usually take a small cooler to hold the things that can't melt, like ice cream. Since I want to make DH a nice dessert for Easter, I'll be going to an actual store for the first time in a month. These last few weeks, I've only been to the convenience store located in a gas station.

Respected Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@DbinMDIf you are nearly out of something "Rationed" and you are willing, Both of you go and Each take a cart so you can double up on things and stay home longer after this trip. Happy hunting!

NO,NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!

Only one person per household should be out grocery shopping.  If everyone brought their whole family shopping the stores would be more crowded than they are already.  It is hard enough to stay six feet apart in the grocery store, without having families shop together.  Please think of the other people in the store, and not just your desire to get more than your share of something.

Respected Contributor

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

Has anyone done Instacom?  When I was out walking yesterday morning, I talked to a neighbor who was up on her porch wiping down her grocery deliveries.  She had several bags from Aldi to wipe down before taking into her house.  She said it costs her $10 for a month to have groceries delivered.  I guess they have a membership monthly plan.  They also can shop other stores in addition to Aldi.  Anyone do this?

Are you talking about Instacart?

I looked into it recently for Aldi's and decided to use it for some of this week's ad items.

Unfortunately the next delivery date open is April 22.  Pick up (where Instacart does the shopping and you meet them in the parking lot at a specified day/time) consistantly says "nothing available".

I imagine it depends on area, and evidently in my locale everyone is getting the same idea.

Denise
Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@DbinMDIf you are nearly out of something "Rationed" and you are willing, Both of you go and Each take a cart so you can double up on things and stay home longer after this trip. Happy hunting!

Some stores are saying only 1 person per family because people were bringing in several people and they were all hoarding.  I know costco is doing this.  I guess they should have stopped the hoarding months ago.

Trusted Contributor

We placed an Instacart order early this week for basics that were running low. It won't come until the weekend but that's not a problem for me. The woman we had last time was excellent. She kept in contact via text as she shopped,  alerting of outages and sending pics of possible substitutions so we could choose between what was available. We actually went in to revise the order and give her a bigger tip. It It was a very good experience. 
Hopefully the store has those basics or reasonable substitutions in stock this time. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@denisemb wrote:

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

Has anyone done Instacom?  When I was out walking yesterday morning, I talked to a neighbor who was up on her porch wiping down her grocery deliveries.  She had several bags from Aldi to wipe down before taking into her house.  She said it costs her $10 for a month to have groceries delivered.  I guess they have a membership monthly plan.  They also can shop other stores in addition to Aldi.  Anyone do this?

Are you talking about Instacart?

I looked into it recently for Aldi's and decided to use it for some of this week's ad items.

Unfortunately the next delivery date open is April 22.  Pick up (where Instacart does the shopping and you meet them in the parking lot at a specified day/time) consistantly says "nothing available".

I imagine it depends on area, and evidently in my locale everyone is getting the same idea.

@denisemb 

Yep Instacart is overwhelmed and it didnt help much that Instacart changed their rules on delivery times as well....Now you cant schedule an order more than 7 days in advance.... I had scheduled a time 4 days in advance because of limited delivery times and Instacart changed my delivery date from 4/9 to 4/16 and didnt even bother notifying me....I noticed it when I sent to add an item I had forgotten and my orders are small orders in order to leave food and essentials available for EVERYONE!  Im really TICKED OFF right now at Instacart.....  

Maybe the overwhelming amount of delivery orders had to do with the Easter weekend coming up...and people preparing special meals....BUT they should send an email to let a Express Order Member know what they are doing....SMH!  Thankfully my sister told me about a store location that is always well stocked, even had toilet paper, paper towels, and TP......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I have always loved grocery shopping. I can spend hours in the store, comparing prices, reading labels, looking at things I don't normally buy and considering them. 

This new normal is killing me only in that aspect. I can live with all the other restrictions and things we are doing without, but my grocery store trips are very few and far between, and stressful to get in and out. They were always my best retail therapy!

Super Contributor

I choose to be grafeful to be able to have the means to purchase food, that I have income.  I also choose to be grateful to everyone who is working, risking themselves so that I, we have access to... and have food.  As easy as it could be to be negative with much of what is occurring, it doesn't change where we are at...wont contribute to making this situation any better.  So I choose to make the best of whatever I can.  But that's just me.

Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

Just no.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I have always loved grocery shopping. I can spend hours in the store, comparing prices, reading labels, looking at things I don't normally buy and considering them. 

This new normal is killing me only in that aspect. I can live with all the other restrictions and things we are doing without, but my grocery store trips are very few and far between, and stressful to get in and out. They were always my best retail therapy!

@Mominohio  I'm the same way, I love to grocery shop.  If I go into a store for a couple of items, I have to pretty much still go up and down every aisle to see what's new.