Respected Contributor

Re: Those little plastic cards we all have. . .

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I have my bank contact me if there are purchases over a certain amount or if things look suspicious.  My husbad has had his account compromised.  A middle eastern group working out of Pennsylvania.

My FIL, had several cards stolen by his now gone Asian care taker.  She had a history of doing such things.  

@Puzzle Piece...oh boy, don't even get me started on the caretaker thieves. Been there, done that with my inlaws.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

RFID card protectors would not have helped my recent card breach- first time it happened to me. I believe my card was copied by someone working in a restaurant I rarely went to. The card left my table, and my sight.  

Esteemed Contributor

All my RFID cards have been replaced with chip cards.

Honored Contributor

LODIS makes some beautiful RFID wallets, some of which the Q carries.  Wallets take away concern about which card goes where.

If you are carrying a recently issued passport it should be protected, as should your mobil.

I use paypal or, a pre-loaded credit card NOT attached to any other funds for all payments.  I simply transfer funds to this card as needed, less when I'm around home carrying cash, and more when I'm out of the country.  The worst anyone can do is hack the small amount loaded on the card.

Easy Peasy.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Occasional Contributor

There is one thing I have never understood about the RFID wallets. I have never bought one because I figure the thieves with scanners would just hang out around the cash registers and get the numbers when people take their cards out of their wallets to pay. The presentations always stress how thieves can get card info by just standing next to you with scanners in their pockets.

Honored Contributor

I have an RFID wallet, and love it.

Have no debit card and don't want one.

Don't carry most of my credit cards for department or home improvement stores, they can look you up with your drivers license. That way I don't loose them.

I pay cash at the gas station, grocery store and anywhere else I can. Helps me control my spending.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

So sorry this happened to you. As a few others have pointed out, it is much more likely that your info was stolen through malware if you used it online or skimming or even just an unscrupulous employee somewhere that you used it in person.  

I never use my debit card for ANY purchases.  I only use it to take out cash from an ATM at a bank branch.  For all purchases I use a credit card that I pay off every month.  Yes, my credit card info has been compromised a few times over the past 10 years, but at least I don't have to worry about someone draining my checking account before my mortgagae payment gets deducted.  

Valued Contributor

@Beachy1 wrote:

I think the RFID presentations are nothing more than fear-mongering...

I agree @bri20.  I watched a program about this that discussed this--it takes crooks a long time to steal one credit card number at a time by trying to access card info through individuals pockets and purses.  It is much more efficient to hack into a huge database or place a skimming device on a point of sale machine.  

I personally don't bother with the RFID protectors because I know my info is so much more likely to be stolen via one of those other mechanisms. 

Honored Contributor

It's very possible that the cards are physically made on the other side of the world and are using our account numbers.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

None of my cards have an RFID chip, so I don't use an RFID wallet or RFID sleeves.

If I ever do get an RFID card, I will take those protective measures but right now I am now worried.

Same here.