Honored Contributor

I love bread!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurengensler/2016/01/26/weight-watchers-stock-surges-oprah-tweet-weight...

Weight Watchers Stock Surges After Oprah Says She's Lost 26 Pounds 

Weight Watchers’ stock is once again benefiting from the Oprah effect.

Shares of the company surged 19% on Tuesday, after Winfrey said she had lost 26 pounds through the weight loss program.

“I have bread everyday. That’s the genius of this program. I lost 26 pounds and I have eaten bread every single day,” said Winfrey in a video posted on her Twitter TWTR +0.00%account.

The billionaire media mogul first announced she had taken a 10% stake in the weight loss company in October, in an investment valued at $43 million, according to a regulatory filing. She also joined the board of directors and is acting as an adviser for the company.

Winfrey, who is an active Weight Watchers member herself, launched her ad campaign for the company in December and similarly sent shares soaring.

Her investment comes at a time when Weight Watchers membership has suffered amid competition from free fitness apps and wearables.

Winfrey joins a list of celebrity spokespeople who have worked to bolster the company’s image and membership over the years, including names like Jennifer Hudson, Jessica Simpson and Jenny McCarthy.

So, do you believe the "Oprah Effect" is responsible?

Honored Contributor

Re: Those Three Little Words

All I remember is that cart full of lard she pulled out on TV boasting about the weight she lost and then  she gained  it all back plus much more.    I give this venture of hers little value based on her past endevours to lose weight that failed miserably.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure Oprah endorsing WW has something to do with it.

I think every January they see an uptick in membership.

Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

I'm sure Oprah endorsing WW has something to do with it.

I think every January they see an uptick in membership.

@brii

This increase is in ONE DAY, after tweeting out that she loves bread and eats it everyday with WW.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't read the article in the rag mag, but while I was standing in line at the grocery store last week, the cover story on one of them was Oprah recently having lipo to increase her perceived weight loss on WW. 

I am against gluten to the nth degree, especially for those wanting to lose weight. I also think Oprah would do ANYthing to make it look like WW was responsible for her weight loss. She is a major stockholder, for goodness sakes! 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Yes.  Yes I do.   I think her followers will believe anything and anybody that has struggled with weight and watched her through her many weight loss journeys will be willing to give this a try if it works for her as she claims.

To be honest, I have a lot of issues with Oprah hooking up with WW on a lot of different levels but apparently there is a large portion of the paying public that does not.  I would never sign up for WW based on her results as we have seen time and again that her weight loss efforts never stick but it would be great if this is the program that clicks for her both for her and the folks that are following WW.

Honored Contributor

It would be more meaningful if the exact foods and exact portions she ate were shared.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I'd like to see the bread before commenting.  Is it one of those slices of low-cal bread you can see through?

Honored Contributor

Breaking the bank.

Honored Contributor

Hate me but I don't care.

Until I see her lose, oh, 80 pounds or so ... I don't care what she proclaims.

The woman is obese. To lose 26 pounds is great however... the majority of WW members lose this amount and then begin to gain and lose the same amount until they either quite or figure out the problem. There are many articles/research on this. In the end, she'll carry far more weight (pardon the pun) when she's closer to/hits goal because that will show everyone how great the program really is.

Right now, she looks no different then when she started. Just saying.