Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking about leaving my job forever

[ Edited ]

I would never leave any job without giving notice. You can never predict when your circumstances could change and you need to seek employment and need a good reference. Or you could get bored being retired and want to get a part time job etc. when i retired I was ill and only working emergency relief when they called me and asked me to come in but I still wrote a letter saying I was going to retire and the date and thanked them for the opportunity to work there.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I would never leave any job without giving notice. You can never predict when your circumstances could change and you need to seek employment and need a good reference. Or you could get bored being retired and want to get a part time job etc. when i retired I was ill and only working emergency relief when they called me and asked me to come in but I still wrote a letter saying I was going to retire and the date and thanked them for the opportunity to work there.

How right you are.  You never burn your bridges behind you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@BlingQueen022

Janey Mack!! I didn't know you were ill Bling.  Yea, get out of there as soon as you can.  How are you feeling?

Hi there Bird Mama.  I'm feeling so much better now.  I was lucky I didn't need bypass surgery.  I had my first heart attack when I was 48 and had three stents placed.  This second heart attack  thankfully was anohter mild one and I had another stent placed.  I'm feeling so much better now thank you very much.  I have a Federal retirement and I've been working for this doctor to collect social security also.  I do like my job and I like the fact that it's only me and the doctor in the office and nobody else, but I leave for work at 4:30am to beat the DC traffic.  My age now at 62, it's just getting more and more difficult to do that.  I think it's time.  I work for him 4 days a week and when Friday comes around on my day off it takes the entire day to recoup.  I'll stick it out through the winter and will retire probably in January this year.  Thanks so much for asking about me.  Much appreciated. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Okay......I guess I'm the only one interpreting all of her posts, that as of Monday she's outta there, with no notice.

I would never do anything like that.....but she's not me......so Happy Retiremet.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

Oddly enough, we had a manager on my floor give 30 day notice (last day would have been 2nd Friday in Sept).  She snapped earlier in the week, and walked off the job.

My manager and I were talking about giving notice, you know, theoretically.  She said that if she hit the lotto, she'd still work and wouldn't leave anyone in the lurch.  I told her, if I hit the lotto, I'm giving you 2 weeks, lurch or not.

Is the etiquette still 2 weeks notice?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the good advice and well wishes.  I appreciate everyone's input.  I am too young to collect SS and  will wait beyond age 62 to get a higher payout.  Right now we don't need the extra income.  

I still have 18 vacation/ personal days so I will give my resignation and go out for the next 3 weeks at my regular pay.  Retirement will be effective when I run out of days.

My company will not give out any references.... Good or bad after you leave.  They will just certify that you worked there ...for legal reasons.  My coworkers and my boss will  give me a good references  if  I ever need one.

My mother died at age 62 right after she retired.  I hope the same doesn't happen to me.  Life is short and uncertain.  I hope to enjoy what time I have left.  Thanks everyone,

Respected Contributor

all the best.  i don't blame you one little bit.

Esteemed Contributor

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

Carmie ~~~ It appears you've covered all the bases for retirement so I say go for it.  Having read your comments I think it's your time, with or without notice; that's your choice  You can apply for SS at 62 or wait til 65 or beyond depending on you and your DHs circumstances.  Take time to consider all your options and make your decisions accordingly.

I retired after 36 years with a state agency (worked in public relations at retirement) and had a great working experience with excellent professional, supervisory and management opportunities over the years.  However, for me it was time.  The agency was scheduled to close the following year and having been there for so many years I didn't want to be there that last year.  Just too many memories.

Little did I know that six months after retirement I would be diagnosed with uterine cancer.  Life is so uncertain ... and it's advisable to make choices for ourselves rather than others.  It is not a selfish choice.  Six months later I was diagnosed with breast cancer; however, thankfully I have been in remission for many years. 

I trust you will have a wonderful retirement with your DH and travel to your heart's content.  You might also consider volunteering in your spare time to keep your eyes and ears on the public issues of the day.  Volunteering is very rewarding IMHO.

Happy Retirement.  Enjoy ... Heart

I am so sorry to have read your diagnosis, Anika- so very sorry.  BUT!  GLAD to hear of your remission/ many years. 

I do a lot of no paid volunteering, but never lose my intense studies with medicine and research.

I often have continuous visits at seminars.  Professional medical speakers, or travel to other countries to learn anything news...medical ~

So many people, even here, are defined 'by' what they have done, regretting they are not doing this JOB profession again ...it just runs on and on / over & over.

Happiness or contentment must be something that few understands. Does no one value their family and those little  (family) ones that are gifted to them?

I sometimes become very confused exactly what people actually want to do? 

NAES