Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking About Local Sayings

@candys mine wrote:

@Cakers3  I Knew you were gonna say that and it's true, but have you TRIED to drive in Town these days?  I've been rerouted on the Same streach of road Within the same HOUR!  Woman Surprised

Spoiler

@candys mine  I am no longer in MA.  I'm down in TX and there is never a dull moment on these roads I tell ya!!!!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3I've never been to TX.  I imagine it is Much different from the Boston area.  Bigger.  Streets made for cars not horses. 

Got another one for ya,

STORROWED  trucks geting jammed under the low bridge.

Valued Contributor

Spoken like a true New Englander!  Although some words are even more local than others.

If you say "packie" in RI they don't have a clue.

In RI, if you want a fountain drink with ice cream in it then you have to order a "cabinet" or you'll just get milk with syrup. 

Then there's "bubbler" vs "water fountain."  A bubbler is where you get a drink of water.  A water fountain is one of those things that sits in the middle of a square or park and spouts water.   

Then there's "Cowhampshire" and the "Maineiacs." 

Fun stuff!

Valued Contributor

How about icebox vs refrigerator.

Honored Contributor

@Melzie wrote:

My sister has an ice box in her kitchen.  She lives in an old limestone house.  It is beautiful with a winding staircase and lots of fireplaces and beautiful pocket doors.

When she and her DH bought the home many years ago,they remodeled the kitchen.  The ice box was built into a wall and the outside of it was crafted wood.  They had it refinished, but kept it.

When my mother was a child, her father used to sell ice.  During the winter, he would cut slabs of ice from the creeks and store them in his outdoor building.  

He was a carpenter by trade and would save the sawdust.  He would stack the ice with sawdust in between and it would be insulated enough to last through most of the summer.  He would sell the ice and people would put a block of it into their ice box to keep the contents in there cold.

Modern refrigeration took the place of ice boxes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@candys mine wrote:

@Cakers3I've never been to TX.  I imagine it is Much different from the Boston area.  Bigger.  Streets made for cars not horses. 

Got another one for ya,

STORROWED  trucks geting jammed under the low bridge.

@candys mineThe first time I drove on one of the major highways here I was in tears.  LOL

Yep.

Take Storrow Drive they said.

It will be faster, they said.

Yeah, not when a truck gets stuck.

Bridge was rated the worst in the USA at one time.  Maybe it still is.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Melzie wrote:

@MelzieMy mother always said "icebox" so as kids we did too, even though it wasn't an "icebox" although I do remember she had to defrost the freezer.

I think many parents just kept the words they grew up with so we kids repeated them.

I don't ever remember her saying "refrigerator".

Valued Contributor

I don't know if they still do it but one of the Boston radio stations used to have a contest every year about trucks getting stuck under the bridge.  You had to pick the date of when the first truck would get stuck.  It happens every year, without fail, when the college kids start coming back in August. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Melzie wrote:

I don't know if they still do it but one of the Boston radio stations used to have a contest every year about trucks getting stuck under the bridge.  You had to pick the date of when the first truck would get stuck.  It happens every year, without fail, when the college kids start coming back in August. 

@Melzie   I vaguely remember that-I think  the U-Haul trucks  tended to get stuck during that time, although plenty of other trucks had the same fate.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m in Texas. I would not even know where to begin....😎