Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thinking About Local Sayings

@red&curly wrote:

@SandySparkles  Yes always pocketbook.We say drink=pop.

I'm fixing' to,down yonder,down the road apiece.

Drawers=underwear,Icebox=refrigerator,Oh,Lawdy.

Funeral parlor,setting up.

Wal-Martz,Belkz,JCPZ,Kmartz,etc.

@red&curly  Those are some of the things she would say also. She would want company to "come in and sit a spell", and would tell them there was, "pop in the icebox". That was a comforting memory just now.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Trusted Contributor

I grew up in Ohio, lived in upstate NY for a while and then moved to MA.  I've lived here for 35 years and I still think everyone here talks funny!  

When we first moved here and I was working at a bank, a customer asked me where the bubluh was.  I asked if he could repeat it and I still had no clue what the heck he was asking for.  The guy just looked at me like I had two heads and walked away.

Then someone asked me for an elastic.  The only elastic I had was in my undies!  

Then someone needed a cashier's check printed out to The Hahndah Bahn.  I asked if she could spell that for me.  She gave me a puzzled look and then spelled it out.  H-o-n-d-a, B-a-r-n.

Not easy being a transplant in New England!  It's wicked hod!  😁

Honored Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

@AbbyK wrote:

II'm from MA, too!  You forgot

"bubbla "...,I.e. water fountain.  Love our unique sayings and pronunciations!  As soon as I open my mouth, people  know where I'm from, and say I have Strong Boston accent!

@AbbyK  Me too.  I barely say a word and right away I get "are you from Boston?"

For years I worked with a much older man who was originally from Boston.  His accent was thick.

We decided that we would have lunch together one day at Wendy's which was within walking distance from the workplace.

I think I ordered a salad and he ordered a Peter.  The gal behind the counter was taken aback and said " What?!"  He again said "a Peter."  She started to tell him he was a pervert and I started to laugh.

I had to translate it for her.  " excuse me Miss, he is from Boston and they pronounce their a's like r's.  He is not a pervert, he is ordering a PITAH ( PITA)  pocket sandwich. 

She calmed down and got our order.  When we sat down at the table, he asked what the problem was.  I was still laughing when I told him how to pronounce PITA and told him why she was upset.  He kept insisting that his pronouncation was correct.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I spent my youth in Pittsburgh, PA.  I have been away for many years and still find myself using the following?

Pittsburgh Stillers

wersh the clothes

gum band = rubber band

red up the room = clean

youns = you people

jagger bush = any bush with sharp needles

pop = soda

dawntawn = downtown

...and anyone from the area will remember "Kennywood is open"

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

@Cakers3,...what about dungarees instead of jeans?

And as another poster mentioned - pocketbooks! "pockahbooks"

@sabatini   Definitely pocketbooks!

I know "dungarees" but I'm pretty sure we called them "blue jeans" and then just "jeans" in college.  In fact my freshman year in college nobody could wear them at all!!!  Women wore dresses or skirts and men wore regular pants.  Dress code!!

As little kid we didn't wear them at all. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

You Can't get they-a from hee-ya.  yes it is a true statement. 

Wickid Pissa Keen.

Don't forget the Gahden.  Boston Garden.  Whatever it is these days it's ALWAYS gonna be The Gahden.

@candys mineAlways heard that for Maine.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wakefield64 wrote:

Being from Mass, friendly observation. We never called submarine sandwiches grinders, simply called them “subs”.

@wakefield64   We always called them "grinders" in MA. 

I'm also from Mass but somebody mentioned "grinders" were toasted and "subs" were not.

I think eventually words become interchanged.

It's been a long time since I've had either sandwich.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Once you have seen this movie you will never say "youths" again.  LOL

DH and I still joke about this word today.

Yutes GIFs | Tenor

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Biftu wrote:

@AbbyK wrote:

II'm from MA, too!  You forgot

"bubbla "...,I.e. water fountain.  Love our unique sayings and pronunciations!  As soon as I open my mouth, people  know where I'm from, and say I have Strong Boston accent!

@AbbyK  Me too.  I barely say a word and right away I get "are you from Boston?"

For years I worked with a much older man who was originally from Boston.  His accent was thick.

We decided that we would have lunch together one day at Wendy's which was within walking distance from the workplace.

I think I ordered a salad and he ordered a Peter.  The gal behind the counter was taken aback and said " What?!"  He again said "a Peter."  She started to tell him he was a pervert and I started to laugh.

I had to translate it for her.  " excuse me Miss, he is from Boston and they pronounce their a's like r's.  He is not a pervert, he is ordering a PITAH ( PITA)  pocket sandwich. 

She calmed down and got our order.  When we sat down at the table, he asked what the problem was.  I was still laughing when I told him how to pronounce PITA and told him why she was upset.  He kept insisting that his pronouncation was correct.

@Carmie   OMG this is the funniest I have ever read regarding Boston accents!!  ROTFL!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3  I Knew you were gonna say that and it's true, but have you TRIED to drive in Town these days?  I've been rerouted on the Same streach of road Within the same HOUR!  Woman Surprised

Spoiler