Trusted Contributor

Re: They dont make things like they used to

On 1/31/2014 gardenman said:

To some extent they can't make things like they used to. Government regulations regarding energy efficiency and the materials used play a huge role in the quality of the device.

I'm not advocating rolling back all of the restrictions and letting anyone use anything, but people have to understand there are consequences for every action. When you ban something that's widely used and force manufacturers to substitute something else in its place, there's a pretty good chance that substitute will have issues. When you want more efficiency out of a device, then you have to sacrifice something else to get it. There's no magic wand that lets manufacturers make those adjustments without compromises and consequences. A shorter product lifespan is just one of those consequences

That might be the case with some things, and we had to dump a perfectly good heating/cooling system because of the freon issue, but it's usually about overall quality control, and the planned death of the item. Washers and dryers, for example, could be designed to last decades, but they're meant to last about nine years at most. Then it's about getting things fixed, it's too expensive, and yes, here comes the new one. If you can even get it fixed in the first place. The mentality now is to just toss and replace.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. When I was growing up, Ethan Allen furniture was amazing. It was crafted in the U.S., the finish was impeccable, and while the prices were high even then, it was meant to last a lifetime. If you sold it, the mere fact that it was Ethan Allen would get you a good price. Now the line is crud, and if there's a corner to cut, it's done so with a chain saw.

Even when the government creates a reg, there can be a substitute, but quality itself is up to the company. They want those sales year after year, and the best way to get them is for their products to die an early death.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

On 1/31/2014 LovemyHusky said:
On 1/31/2014 KYToby said:

Many times, people will buy the cheapest item available and then stare in wonder when it breaks. For instance, I paid $1,500 for a washing machine (after months of research) while my neighbor bought a used one for $300. She has had repairmen out multiple times and replaced it twice with cheap machines and wonders why.

People complain because the $8 toasters from Wal-Mart break down after a couple of months while wincing at spending $90 one a great model (not made in China). I would rather spend what I can to get the better quality than deal with shoddy merchandise,

That isn't always the case. In 2007 we got a top of the line refrigerator that was very expensive and we have had many problems with it. Now my parents had the same brand growing up and that lasted for over 20 years.

Refrigerators are actually rather simple things to run, but now they have a ton of bells and whistles, and the more they add, the more things can go wrong.

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

Yes, it's maddening!

Trusted Contributor

On 1/31/2014 KYToby said:

Many times, people will buy the cheapest item available and then stare in wonder when it breaks. For instance, I paid $1,500 for a washing machine (after months of research) while my neighbor bought a used one for $300. She has had repairmen out multiple times and replaced it twice with cheap machines and wonders why.

People complain because the $8 toasters from Wal-Mart break down after a couple of months while wincing at spending $90 one a great model (not made in China). I would rather spend what I can to get the better quality than deal with shoddy merchandise,

There's a lot of room between a Wal Mart cheapie, and the higher lines that are also just meant to toast some bread.

Expensive doesn't always mean better. You can get a gold wedding band from Wal Mart that's made just as well as one from Cartier, and it will be a lot less. Okay, you don't have "Cartier" inside the ring, and it didn't come with the pretty box, but who can tell when it's on the finger?

As much as I love my Honda, if I had to buy a new car, I'd be looking at Ford. Same great things for a lot less, and Honda did admit that they raised their prices just because they could.

Esteemed Contributor

Look at it as supporting the economy and jobs.

Super Contributor

On 1/31/2014 LipstickDiva said:

Yep. My best friend recently had to replace her washer/dryer that were only 6 years old. Her previous set was close to 30 years old. They told her when she was shopping for a new set that appliances typically last about 5 years and you're lucky if they last longer.

So true! I had a Kenmore washer that lasted about 26 years--bought a Maytag that lasted 6. Am on a 3rd washer, and they told me when I bought it, the life would be 7-10 years if I was lucky. (also a Kenmore).

I had a dishwasher that lasted 25 years--when I replaced it, I was told the average was about 7 years.