Super Contributor

Re: They dont make things like they used to

When I worked at W. T. Grant one Christmas when I was 16, I used the money to buy my mom a Hamilton Beach stand mixer. My DS now owns it and it is 61 years old and still in working condition.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/30/2014 straykatz said:

I thought my oven was in need of replacing not long ago and it was just an element that needed replaced...much cheaper than a new oven.

straykatz would you believe my husband looked at it then, and checked the whole thing out. The one heating element was lighting but not the other. He said the bottom element is broke because it was not on but the top one is. (same as yours- an element). Well he refuses to call a repairman so he looked online at videos that tell how to install a new element. So he ordered one directly from the company, and it should be here in 2 days. So hopefully he can fix it! Thanks for all the replies. I am more calmed down now that I know he can probably fix it but I still say (as all of you did) that they don't make things like they used to!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

No reason to totally waste food, as you possibly could have made your recipe in your toaster oven/convection oven, on a grill, or on top of the stove. You could have even asked a neighbor or a friend if you could borrow theirs to cook in.

Or, donate the ingredients to someone who's food budget is extremely tight.

Man, so many people on the Q boards are so wasteful of so many things, especially stuff that others less fortunate could truly use. You've gotta improvise and think out of the box, like donating to the needy.

Trusted Contributor

In the book, "Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster," the author talks about quality disappearing from all levels, and she mentions Macy's telling vendors that they want Item A at Price Y, and they don't care what corners you cut to fit those parameters. I know for a fact that LV isn't what it once was, and the author talked about Prada not being up to snuff.

It even hits homes. I think it was in 2012 or 2013 when a fire department built two homes to see how they burn. One was traditional (wood framing and such), and the other had all of the latest building materials. The traditional home gave you 13-17 minutes to get out because everything burned slower. The newer home with all the plastics only gave you 3-4 minutes to get out. Traditional methods win out, and I've found with my own experience, that the homes are sturdier, too.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

I agree! Nothing is made like it used to be from appliances, to cars, to clothing, to bed sheets!

I have a refrigerator that is going on 30 years old. It lost a compressor while still under warranty while it was still new. After that was replaced (free) it has been going strong all these years. I need and want a bigger and better designed one, but I can't bring myself to get one, because I know it won't last.

Honored Contributor

My washer is 3 years old -only gets used 1/2 a year as we are only here in the winter- and the timer has started making a loud clicking noise.My DH said he fully expects we will need a new timer soon.
Regular Contributor

They haven't made things like they used for a looong time now.

Honored Contributor

To some extent they can't make things like they used to. Government regulations regarding energy efficiency and the materials used play a huge role in the quality of the device. Old style Freon was a very efficient refrigerant that was well understood and easy to work with. But then because it was a CFC, it got banned and replacements had to be found. The replacement HFC based refrigerants are harder to work with and tend to lead to more mechanical issues. Older, bullet-proof motors that would last forever aren't efficient enough for modern appliances. To make a motor more efficient compromises have to be made. Those compromises, while increasing efficiency and saving energy, lead to a shorter life.

States like California ban a ton of chemicals and chemical compounds for fear they could be cancer causing or for other reasons, many of the compounds were widely used and now have to be substituted for. In the vast majority of the cases the substitutes are not as effective.

Well, you might say, it's a small price to pay to eliminate cancer, but in many cases the chemical/cancer link is extremely tenuous at best. We're saving the environment! Not if we're filling landfills with broken down devices.

Fifty years ago the list of materials one could use in manufacturing was nearly limitless. Every day that passes now that list of acceptable materials is getting smaller and smaller. When you take more options away from the manufacturers you end up tying their hands and forcing them to make do with less known/proven materials.

It's just a question of time until the powers-that-be decide you can't use wood as a building material since trees are so important to the environment. And you can't use bricks or concrete because their raw materials are mined and mining destroys the environment. Recycled steel could be used but only if it's from a plant that doesn't use any greenhouse gas creating combustibles for the forges. Plastic comes from oil so that can't be used due to the destruction caused by oil drilling/refining. But, you can build a house out of whatever's left. Of course, there's pretty much nothing left but dirt, but you'll figure it out. How hard can it be?

That's largely where manufacturers find themselves these days. Many of the materials that used to make devices reliable are now banned and unavailable. So, they have to change the electrolyte in a capacitor, big deal! Well, it is when that electrolyte fails and your device is rendered useless. So they have to use a different lube in a bearing, what's the problem? Well, when that lube fails and the bearing seizes it becomes a problem. So they have to improve the efficiency of a motor by fifty percent, what's the big deal? Well if that improvement in efficiency brings with it a substantially reduced lifespan then it becomes a big deal. Every action has a reaction. The more proven items you take away from a manufacturer and tell them to make do with what's left over, you make it more and more likely that the new devices will fail. When you've used a compound for fifty years, you know all of its strengths and weaknesses. When that compound is banned they have to start all over.

I'm not advocating rolling back all of the restrictions and letting anyone use anything, but people have to understand there are consequences for every action. When you ban something that's widely used and force manufacturers to substitute something else in its place, there's a pretty good chance that substitute will have issues. When you want more efficiency out of a device, then you have to sacrifice something else to get it. There's no magic wand that lets manufacturers make those adjustments without compromises and consequences. A shorter product lifespan is just one of those consequences

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

On 1/31/2014 gardenman said:

To some extent they can't make things like they used to. Government regulations regarding energy efficiency and the materials used play a huge role in the quality of the device. Old style Freon was a very efficient refrigerant that was well understood and easy to work with. But then because it was a CFC, it got banned and replacements had to be found. The replacement HFC based refrigerants are harder to work with and tend to lead to more mechanical issues. Older, bullet-proof motors that would last forever aren't efficient enough for modern appliances. To make a motor more efficient compromises have to be made. Those compromises, while increasing efficiency and saving energy, lead to a shorter life.

States like California ban a ton of chemicals and chemical compounds for fear they could be cancer causing or for other reasons, many of the compounds were widely used and now have to be substituted for. In the vast majority of the cases the substitutes are not as effective.

Well, you might say, it's a small price to pay to eliminate cancer, but in many cases the chemical/cancer link is extremely tenuous at best. We're saving the environment! Not if we're filling landfills with broken down devices.

Fifty years ago the list of materials one could use in manufacturing was nearly limitless. Every day that passes now that list of acceptable materials is getting smaller and smaller. When you take more options away from the manufacturers you end up tying their hands and forcing them to make do with less known/proven materials.

It's just a question of time until the powers-that-be decide you can't use wood as a building material since trees are so important to the environment. And you can't use bricks or concrete because their raw materials are mined and mining destroys the environment. Recycled steel could be used but only if it's from a plant that doesn't use any greenhouse gas creating combustibles for the forges. Plastic comes from oil so that can't be used due to the destruction caused by oil drilling/refining. But, you can build a house out of whatever's left. Of course, there's pretty much nothing left but dirt, but you'll figure it out. How hard can it be?

That's largely where manufacturers find themselves these days. Many of the materials that used to make devices reliable are now banned and unavailable. So, they have to change the electrolyte in a capacitor, big deal! Well, it is when that electrolyte fails and your device is rendered useless. So they have to use a different lube in a bearing, what's the problem? Well, when that lube fails and the bearing seizes it becomes a problem. So they have to improve the efficiency of a motor by fifty percent, what's the big deal? Well if that improvement in efficiency brings with it a substantially reduced lifespan then it becomes a big deal. Every action has a reaction. The more proven items you take away from a manufacturer and tell them to make do with what's left over, you make it more and more likely that the new devices will fail. When you've used a compound for fifty years, you know all of its strengths and weaknesses. When that compound is banned they have to start all over.

I'm not advocating rolling back all of the restrictions and letting anyone use anything, but people have to understand there are consequences for every action. When you ban something that's widely used and force manufacturers to substitute something else in its place, there's a pretty good chance that substitute will have issues. When you want more efficiency out of a device, then you have to sacrifice something else to get it. There's no magic wand that lets manufacturers make those adjustments without compromises and consequences. A shorter product lifespan is just one of those consequences

You said it all! And said it exactly like it is. Great post, thanks!

Honored Contributor

Yep. My best friend recently had to replace her washer/dryer that were only 6 years old. Her previous set was close to 30 years old. They told her when she was shopping for a new set that appliances typically last about 5 years and you're lucky if they last longer.