Honored Contributor

*Deciding whether to 'heart' that last remark or not*....

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Tip:  If the "Revoke My Hearts" isn't available on your 3-dot Options menu for a post you previously "hearted," refresh the page and it should appear as a choice no matter what device you're using. 

(Reminder:  The "Help" menu is available under "Quick LInks" on every page.  It's on the left side of the screen, below "Blogs & Forms."  The shortcuts to other options, like "My Settings" are there, too.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

onewhiteSparrow wrote:

Every heart I gave they earned.   I liked what they posted.

I can see how some groups of people would sent hearts to someone, and in one day, right on key..... all of them would remove the hearts to hurt someone.   This could be abused by some.  

I doubt anyone would notice if hearts were removed.  I believe it happens as a matter of course when a post or thread is deleted, and unless someone decided to keep a tally minute-by-minute it seems to me it wouldn't be noticeable.

There always will be people who choose to abuse just about anything.  That's a problem with the person, not the system.   We can't program ethics into a forum platform.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

How about ignoring the "hearts"?  They are like buttons, left you a message button, or thinking about you (without posting) buttons or just saying "Hi" buttons.  Why put thought or effort into something that can mean so many different things to so many?  Sometimes I just want to say "Hi, I'm thinking about you!"

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

I think most people would be suspicious if they started getting a lot of hearts from people who don't like them.  They would probably be relieved if they disappeared one way or another.

In a list of things to worry about, I see that at the bottom.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@onewhiteSparrow wrote:

Every heart I gave they earned.   I liked what they posted.

I can see how some groups of people would sent hearts to someone, and in one day, right on key..... all of them would remove the hearts to hurt someone.   This could be abused by some.  

Do you really think most posters would be upset because someone Un-hearted them?

I know there are some tender people that would feel saddness if done to them by a group of people they thought liked them...until all of them removed their hearts given to her.  

I find it easy to see down the road of what some will do.

Honored Contributor

Re: These heart things

[ Edited ]

Great posts, @Preds and @NoelSeven!  I think the hearts, or any other system on social media similar to "likes" on Facebook or "retweets" on Twitter, end up being as important as the person giving and receiving chooses to make them.  

To me, it's a nice tool because it creates a "Notification" and gives the person one of those "breadcrumb trails" to a thread so they can read subsequent posts and decide if they want to reply.  And it's much more efficient than all the quotes we used to have here simply to state that we agreed with a post.  The hearts do have a functionality, after all.Robot Happy

Honored Contributor

"Love means never having to say you're sorry."

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

Great posts, @Preds and @NoelSeven!  I think the hearts, or any other system on social media similar to "likes" on Facebook or "retweets" on Twitter, end up being as important as the person giving and receiving chooses to make them.  

To me, it's a nice tool because it creates a "Notification" and gives the person one of those "breadcrumb trails" to a thread so they can read subsequent posts and decide if they want to reply.  And it's much more efficient than all the quotes we used to have here simply to state that we agreed with a post.  The hearts do have a functionality, after all.Robot Happy

Hi dooB!  See, we can use it to just say "I'm thinking about you or nice to see you are here."  I post pics on some threads that I don't "talk on" but they always heart me to let me know they "got" it.  I'm not much on words and don't have a lot to say, but that doesn't mean I don't care or read.  People need people ... hearts are a good way to say "Thanks"!  Or ... come here and hash it out .... LOL!  "Devil Face showing"!  LOL  

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

"Love means never having to say you're sorry."

BS ... Love means you are always saying you're sorry ... or trying to make them say it!  LOL