Honored Contributor

Re: There's Always A First Time.....

@goldensrbestwrote:

I feel  dogs and cats , really like our human food because of the smell,and taste, my dogs get human food with their kibble.

@goldensrbest

My cats would act very interested in human food I would put down a small bite and they would turn their nose up at it and wouldnt eat it....I think your right they might have just liked the smell.............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

While our dog is very picky but will eat cat food over dog food, our cats eat dog food, Italian tuna, rotisserie chicken, filet, and just about anything.   When anyone walks in the kitchen, they think it is time for them to eat.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafterwrote:

My current cat wants absolutely nothing to do with people food.  She may sniff something you hold out but she will walk away.  She's always been like that.

The one before was out of her mind for McDonalds fries, Cheerios and Doritos.

Our first one would steal corn cobs out of the garbage and gnaw on them until his gums bled, would pace waiting for chicken livers when I would make them and loved zucchini and chick peas.

@CelticCrafter

Your mention of McDonald's fries call to mind my aunt's cat, Oliver.....someone at her work found an abandoned tiny kitten in a mud puddle and knew she liked cats and brought the kitten to her....she bottle fed the kitten and he grew into this huge white cat....he liked to ride in the car and he liked McDonald's fries....so she put a leash on him and took him in the car and they'd go to the McDonald's drive thru to get him some fries....the workers got a real kick out of it...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Ha Ha, @Annabellethecat66, I had the same thing happen yesterday with my lean cuisine - it was my dog Mattie though instead of one of the cats. I had gotten up and left the room to answer the phone, I was eating in the living room. Left my plate on an end table. Came back, Mattie was up in my chair, going to town, chomping down. I just laughed. Let her have what was left, which wasn't much.

My cats like to eat the dog food. Thats about it. It has bits of chicken in it, I guess thats why.

Honored Contributor

Wow!  Thanks to all of you for sharing what your animals love about food.

The variations are amazing!  It just goes to show that our beloved furbabies have cravings and specific taste buds just like their human families.

I always find it interesting that (for some reason) people often think of cats as not having personalities ..... or if they do .....not being capable companions (as opposed to dogs).

Well, to that I say, "Not so!  Here's how I think this discrepancy occurred.....I think dogs just have a better publicist and are able to get the word out that they're 'all that' better than cats do".  Ha!

Respected Contributor

One of my cats loved cantaloupe.  As soon as I cut into one she was there at my feet.  My brother's cat loved green olives better than cat treats.