Regular Contributor

The word hypoallergenic on a label means nothing

I just read a report that really surprised me. It said that manufacturers can put the word "hypoallergenic" on a makeup or cleansing product for any or no reason! If they think that it will help them to boost their sales, they will use the term.

That really disgusted me. I always imagined that it meant they had done testing, and were using only those ingredients that were safe, but that isn't the case at all.

Another thing that shocked me is when they say that no animal testing was done, that is often not true either! That only means that they haven't done any more testing, but it doesn't mean that animal testing wasn't done with some of the ingredients that are in the product!

Another surprising fact is that some American-made lipstick still has lead in it.

Another surprising fact is that the FDA will not get involved or be notified if a cosmetic has harmful effects on some people. They only get involved if it is a really serious problem.

Some dark shades of nail polish can permanently stain your nails when removed. Only when the new nails grow in will the natural color come back again.

The most common injury from makeup is with mascara. It is caused by the mascara wand scratching the eyeball while it is being applied.

Never sleep with mascara on. Little pieces of it can break off while you are sleeping and can get into the eyes. That can cause irritation, redness and itching.