Respected Contributor

The present and future of farms in the U.S.

[ Edited ]

This is part of a story from the Savannah (GA) Morning News.  Appeared today in the metro Atlanta newspaper.

Pete Waller is a business man by trade but a farmer by heart. The 89- year-old runs an insulation business where he earns most of his living, but his real pride and joy is cultivating the 150-acres of fertile soil that is Ottawa Farms, one of the last remaining farms in Chatham County, GA.

Waller spends his mornings herding cattle, running the lengths of green pastures in his tractor and spitting chewing tobacco into a red Solo nestled in the cupholder of his truck. 

He doesn’t need to be working out in the fields, but he does it anyway. 

“I like to smell that dirt when you plow it up,” Waller chuckled. “I enjoy cutting that hay and rolling it back.”

He’s wearing a dress shirt and polka-dot suspenders. But for the purposes of farm work, he’s in denim jeans and sneakers. 

“It’s in your blood, you can’t get it out.”

But Waller, a third-generation farmer, recognizes the changing agricultural landscape. He watched the 150 acres of land his grandfather first purchased in 1873 grow to around 800. Now he’s back to 150, as plans to lease and develop the remaining acreage into warehouses come to fruition. 

“The math is not there to hold onto the land today,” said Waller, speaking of skyrocketing property values pushing out smaller-scale farmers like him. “It’s the writing on the wall.”

Waller, however, is business savvy. He said there’s no plans to sell the land outright as he still owns the parcels. 

“You don’t sell the goose that lays the golden egg; we leased the goose,” Waller said with a laugh. 

The fight to rezone the land from agricultural to industrial took nearly two years. At the end of that controversial battle in 2021, Waller entered into a contract with the Florida-based McCraney Property Company. Nearly 600 acres of land abutting the green plains of the farm will be razed and turned into warehousing, to the dismay of residents. 

“Everybody don’t like change. They want to see a farm,” said Waller, “but they don’t own it … they don’t pay taxes on it.”

Waller stood watch as flocks of black and brown cattle roamed in the tall grass toward the shade of a tree draped in Spanish moss. The rule of thumb is you can’t fall in love with them, he said of the beef cattle. 

Once the 10-year warehouse project is complete, the pasture will be gone. 

When Waller took over the farm in his teens after his father’s death, the land had been in his family for at least 70 years. He quit high school and went to work in the shipyard as a machinist, hustling during the day and farming at night. 

Even then, farm work was no way to earn money. He found himself in the insulation business. Then, by 23-years-old, he wound up overseeing 700 men at a cement company in North Carolina. Three years later, he returned home. 

Waller started running his own insulation business in the early ‘60s while he still worked the farm. But the landscape was shifting. 

“We saw what was happening,” he said, “after the I-95 went up.” 

Pooler, still one of the fastest growing cities in the region, began to balloon. 

Anticipating the risk of Bloomingdale being annexed into its neighboring cities, he, along with four other residents, worked to incorporate the town. 

“I took the charter to Atlanta,” Waller said as he recalled his first ever plane trip. 

In his office, he pointed to a black and white photo of himself, three other men and then-governor Jimmy Carter smiling with the charter in hand. In 1974, Bloomingdale was incorporated. 

Development continues to explode in the region, transforming the once-sprawling agricultural town. Manufacturing and logistics in the area boomed as the Port of Savannah expanded, growing into one of the busiest ports in the nation.  

Today, industrialization is at the heart of residents’ concerns. For Bloomingdale, a city of about 2,600, existence is always in flux. City officials say they’re trying to balance the financial flush warehousing can bring with the quality of life of residents. 

Waller knows farming isn’t what’s sustainable here. In 1957 he bought an acre of land for $57, he said. Now that same acre is worth $150,000. The writing is on the wall for all farmers. Even those more inland as growth spills into nearby counties

To further supplement his income, Waller opened up the fields to another kind of business – agritourism.  

“We were doing this before we realized what it was called,” he said, “We plant about five acres of strawberries every year, three acres of blackberries and five acres of blueberries, all pick-your-own operations.”

The annual strawberry festival is set for this weekend – April 2nd-3rd – and normally attracts up to 10,000 people, said Waller. 

Ottawa hosts other attractions as well, such as sunflower picking. For school field trips, he’s installed a giant metal slide, a note he took from the farms up in North Carolina. Nearby is a general store that sells farm-made goods. 

A goat that pops its head over a wooden fence is, perhaps, the main attraction. Waller grabs a handful of tobacco and feeds it to him. The goat laps it up, its mouth grinding side to side with sounds of cows mooing in the distance. 

“Back then we didn’t have to fence them in,” Waller recalled when his father was alive, “We used to have an open range. Where Home Depot is, we used to run the cows. Where Lowe’s is, we used to run the cows.”

Honored Contributor

Re: The present and future of farms in the U.S.

I've lived outside Atlanta for the past twenty years. The growth has been incredible as more people sell up North and come down to escape the high taxes and what was once a much lower expense of living like my family did.

The houses that my family members bought 15-20 years ago for $200,000 are now worth half a million. You can't rent a one bedroom apartment for less than $2000 a month in my area and they are still building. 

A new housing development that hasn't even built the sample yet has raised presales from $350,000 to $450,000 in less than a year. 

When developers can make money like that, the farms taking up valuable retail and residential space have got to go, unfortunately. God bless Iowa and the rest of the Midwest for keeping us fed. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 

Very good post.  I know what you mean.

We moved to an Atlanta suburb six years ago  after living four decades in a Virginia/DC suburb, where I grew up. 

Bought a newly-built house here  for half what we sold ours for up north.  It's not a good house and I don't like it, but DH wanted to return to his home state and his beloved UGA DAWGS.  Our older son has lived here since graduating from college and wanted us to come here too.

I have wanted to unload this poorly-built junky house since we moved here six years ago.  But trying to find a replacement for under a million dollars in a good location is IMPOSSIBLE.

Our younger son recently  bought a newly built home outside of Raleigh, NC, for almost half a million.  The photo looks like it should not cost more than about $200K.  I'm a former Realtor and real estate broker who used to work in one of the most expensive U.S. zip codes, so you'd think I wouldn't be surprised.  But I am.

Construction quality standards are very low these days.  Land is scarce for building new homes.  Interest rates on loans are going up.  Construction materials are more costly and caught up in supply chain problems.  A perfect storm is brewing, for sure.

Respected Contributor

I'm in eastern Pa. and in my small area that I travel, the farms are pretty much gone. They've all been sold to build mega distribution centers and warehouses. I think  I just read recently that within 2 miles of me, there is 6,000,000 sq. ft of these type of buildings. What a shame. I have a new developement going in on the other side of mine that will have to use my street to go in and out of because the main road is in a flood zone, so that will be an extra 300 or 400 extra cars a day on my small streets. Just great for the rest of us. Won't be able to get out of my driveway.

Honored Contributor

The biggest pieces of open land I am familiar with in Florida seem to be heading 2 ways -  Amazon is buying and buying to build millions of square feet of the distribution centers close to where the demand for fast delivery exists.  There are lots of areas of great density in the state, and shoppers want the warehouses near them even while they lament the loss of various types of open land.

The other big pieces go to new home communities, some of which do attract new Florida residents, but there are even more of those already Florida residents who want new homes awat from the neifghborhoods where they have owned for years.  Yes, there are plenty of people coming from the North, too.  

This is my second time living through a massive growth spurt in a geopgraphic area.  When I first moved to Long Island in the early 1960's, the dense development ended about 9 miles east of the school where I taught.  Now it extends all the way to the tips of the LI "alligator."  (Look at a map to see my alligator.)

Do keep in mind that for all the complaints about the new residents, it works like the snowbirds.  Full timers complain about the traffic and the busy restaurants during the season, but they love the extra money snowbirds bring in and spend.  Same with prices of housing -  for a few years not so long ago, owners were selling homes for much less than they had paid if they could even sell.  Now they can sell for big profits even if they bought within the last year or two.  And they are taking that money and moving up.  The irony is, they most likely will be right back into density and all it means very soon!

Whether you're living North or South,  it's the land that has the monetary value, but it's often the farming that has the pull of tradition.  Really a tough call for so many.

Respected Contributor

I am seeing the farms disappear in upper South Carolina too.  We live "in the country" that was basically farm land and now it is becoming  subdivisions (unless it is a horse farm).  Those big divisions with houses right beside each other and huge numbers in a small space.  Farm land is being sold as that older generation dies and the children sell off.   I totally understand with the high land taxes and upkeep expenses and just the time required to maintain land and woods.  Farming on a small scale isn't possible any more and that is a reality.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@novamc1 I agree. But for a family living situation, I would have been financially forced out years ago and I have a good job for 20 years now. It's impossible for single income average wage people to live anymore. As soon as this living situation goes away, I am going to be forced to quit my job and move to a state I can still afford. It's nuts! 

Respected Contributor

Enjoyed the post.

I briefly searched some facts and found that Bill Gates is the largest owner of farmland at 269,000 acres. Bezos has about that much but not necessarily farm land. 

Corporations and the billionaires are changing our lives. Dallas News reports that about 20% of all homes sales are to investors. And we all know about corporate gentrification of metro neighborhoods.

Gone are private medical practices, home owned newspapers, public roadways are being developed as toll roads, no more local banks,.........

Farming receives the most government financial support (worldwide) than any other business. The business is brutal.

Respected Contributor

The Washiington Post reports that "rapid home price increases and the sharp rise in mortgage rates is beginning to push some prospective homebuyers out of the market".

According to real estate company Redfin, a decrease in mortgage applications, fewer online home searches, and fewer home tours are all signs that some buyers are waiting on the sidelines this spring.

Cuirrent average mortgage rate is 4.67 percent, meaning a monthly payment of $2,234---up 31 percent from a year earlier when rates were 3.18 percent.

Some think home inventories and moderating demand might relieve the strain on some buyers by June or July.

The number of sellers who lowered their price before selling increased from 5.8 percent in March 2021 to 6.0 percent in March 2022.

"Competition is still heated between buyers, investors and people moving from high-priced housing markets to more affordable markets."

(The grammatical error in that quote from the Washington Post really bugs me.  There is no such thing as competition "between" three different groups.  The correct word would be "among" 

A grammatical error also appears in the very first sentence posted above.)