Frequent Contributor

The other side/ Vacation Rentals

We live on a quiet, private street with only 5 houses. Everything has been great the 21 years we have lived here, and then the house across from us was sold last Feb to a couple from CA who have/ had no plans to actually reside there, but use it as a vacation rental aka "party house". 

Now to the reason for this post...plz don't assume when you rent a vacation rental off airbnb or vrbo, or any of the numerous sites that it is legal. We live in Clark County, NV which makes up the majority of the Las Vegas valley. Vacation rentals are NOT legal in the county! Inside Las Vegas city limits they are legal, but again, not where we live. So do your homework plz!

If the landlord doesn't post an address online, or requires a 30 day lease it's a safe bet it's an illegal rental. Just plz verify the legality,as I'm sure this is an issue in other places also.

Respected Contributor

Re: The other side/ Vacation Rentals

Have you gone to the powers that be in your town/city and let them know it is being rented out? That this is not the primary residence of the owners.  Perhaps they can send a cease and disist order to them.

Honored Contributor

Okay but if I am a vacationer and I rent an Air BnB house for a week, why the heck would I care if the owner of the house is legally allowed to do it????   That wouldn't even cross my mind and quite frankly, I wouldn't care because I'm not breaking any laws or zoning regulations and there's zero chance of it interrupting my vacation.  If neighbors report the owner, the owner will be cited and that wouldn't happen until long after I enjoyed the house and the vacation was just a happy memory.   Some towns do have regulations that ban sublets, vacation rentals, Air BnB etc but they aren't really enforceable.  No one in their right mind would ever rent a place without an address.  People want to Google Earth see the house, the neighborhood, the town.   And....they need an address to get their...lol  Although most people use Air BnB for that type of thing.  They aren't concerned about the zoning stuff.   

Frequent Contributor

TPTB are working the case.

Nice of you to care, only can hope this happens to you personally so you can see the "other side", but in all honesty I would expect such a response from you!

And to let you know, you can be kicked out of an illegal rental, wouldn't that make your vacation special!

Honored Contributor

Why are you so sure it is going to be a "party house" not all rentals are like that, DH and I have rented for vacation at least 10 times and we are far from partyers

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@NVmimi wrote:

TPTB are working the case.

Nice of you to care, only can hope this happens to you personally so you can see the "other side", but in all honesty I would expect such a response from you!

And to let you know, you can be kicked out of an illegal rental, wouldn't that make your vacation special!

No, there's no chance the vacationer would be kicked out.  You know as well as I do that when neighbors report such things, there's a process.  And the complaint is against the homeowner.  He or she is citing for zoning laws and they get a citiation and yada yada but that takes time.  A lot of time.  Which is the problem with things like that.  It's why homeowners go around them.  The process hasn't caught up with the reality.  Yes, it's true.  I generally don't tell people what they want to hear just to make them feel good.   I don't know why you think the vacation renter has any responsibility in such things.  Renters or AirBnb boarders just assume that the renter is following local regs.  It's not something they even consider.  You problem is with the homeowners.  

Contributor

Hi Chrystaltree,

Just to let you know, vacationers actually CAN be kicked out during their vacation. 

This just happened.  Our friends live in a condo.  Someone in their building was renting out their unit.  Their tenant was renting it out as an Air BnB - prohibiited by the condo assoc and CC&R's.  The AirBnb-ers were kicked out - during their vacation - by the association.  The owner of the unit (that had been illegally rented out by her tenant) had to pay to have the whole building re-keyed and new keys for everyone!  All of those "vacationers" had keys to the building and all the entry codes!

So, as an AirBnB renter, you can be unknowingly "renting" from a tenant who is prohibited to "sub-lease" and if the owner finds out, you can be kicked out right there and then!  

Honored Contributor

When we travel in the US with my family, usually 8-10 of us, we always use vrbo. Never had a problem and the owners or real estate always specify, not a party house and we pay a deposit. Never had any problems. Much cheaper this way than a hotel.

Super Contributor

@NVmimi Thank you for the warning; it's not something I had ever really thought about before but I'm sure most of us would prefer to be doing a legal rental versus violating a law/regulation.

I suspect we will hear more about situations like this though with the popularity of those kind of rentals increasing.

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Esteemed Contributor

@sockmonkey wrote:

Hi Chrystaltree,

Just to let you know, vacationers actually CAN be kicked out during their vacation. 

This just happened.  Our friends live in a condo.  Someone in their building was renting out their unit.  Their tenant was renting it out as an Air BnB - prohibiited by the condo assoc and CC&R's.  The AirBnb-ers were kicked out - during their vacation - by the association.  The owner of the unit (that had been illegally rented out by her tenant) had to pay to have the whole building re-keyed and new keys for everyone!  All of those "vacationers" had keys to the building and all the entry codes!

So, as an AirBnB renter, you can be unknowingly "renting" from a tenant who is prohibited to "sub-lease" and if the owner finds out, you can be kicked out right there and then!  

The renters were probably asked to leave and did so willingly.  Actually they were there with the owners permission and could have stayed.  The association could not forcably remove them.  That is a legal matter

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.