Honored Contributor

Re: The good ole days

[ Edited ]

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Geeze guys, the OP is just wanting to wax poetic on a quiet Saturday afternoon. 

Relax.  

Take a deep breath.

I can't help but think for some posters you could give them a couple million $$...and the only thing they would get out of it is bi*ching about the taxes.

Geeze sidsmom.

Haven't you been here long enough to recognize the OP's mode of starting a baiting thread with the thinly-velied intention of hurling insults.

@mstyrion 1

I've been here for awhile.  

Fortunately I never "Look to the Left".

I respond to the post, not the poster's name,

And even if someone has a history of posting that way, there's no reason to 'bait' it back.  In that case, the responders are no better than the poster.  And the original post did not show any sort of baiting....it was only when they were challenged later on.  

Post #6 was the pivotal point...'I know you did' was baiting.

Relax.

Take a deep breath.

Unclench.

Forgive.  Forget.  Move on. 

Super Contributor
I don't know what state you live in, but in mine, income taxes have never been so high and that is the truth.
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Constance2 wrote:
I don't know what state you live in, but in mine, income taxes have never been so high and that is the truth.

I agree taxes are sky high.   Govt takes half to give away to others.

Some do not pay taxes.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Actually , as far as duel incomes go - by the time women pay for work appropriate clothing, a second car & it's maintainence , insurance and operating cost plus add lunches and child care costs. Subtract that from that second salary and consider that your children are being partially raised by someone other than you & you may decide you don't really need to work. yes, one income families must watch their expenses but it is do able, esp. when you consider what is best for your children.

As for my personal choice to have a career - along with that choice was the fact that I was not able to have children. if i had a child I would have stayed home. I stayed home with my stepchildren when my first  husband was alive and I was able to do so, I worked only 2 shifts a week and they were nights when their father was home with them.

I do tire of those that claim most households need two incomes these days. There is much truth in the cost to go to work. 

There are, of course, those at the very low end of the economic scale that don't get by well with only one income (or just plain can't without welfare), and even then there are creative ways to stagger schedules so mom and dad can be with the kids much of the time, while both contribute to the income.

But today, everyone thinks they need so much. The bigger house, the multiple cars, the clothing, the vacations, and the 'stuff' is more important than the kids. The entire time I was a stay at home mom, our family living on one blue collar income, I'd see people making twice or more what we did, claiming there was no way they could get by without both parents working. Kids deserve more than things. The deserve parents who make the sacrifices to be home (at least most of the time) with them, however  that has to be arranged with schedules.

And just in general to those who think more ill of the past than good, I'm sorry yours was so bad. Even those who were more suppressed than today (women, people of color, etc.) have many fond memories and wish for the ability to revisit the days gone by at times. Just because times weren't perfect, and things weren't 'easy' for them, doesn't mean that it was all bad. It seems every time someone brings up the 'good old days' the same few have to rain on the parade of others who like to reminisce.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Geeze guys, the OP is just wanting to wax poetic on a quiet Saturday afternoon. 

Relax.  

Take a deep breath.

I can't help but think for some posters you could give them a couple million $$...and the only thing they would get out of it is bi*ching about the taxes.

Geeze sidsmom.

Haven't you been here long enough to recognize the OP's mode of starting a baiting thread with the thinly-velied intention of hurling insults.

@mstyrion 1

I've been here for awhile.  

Fortunately I never "Look to the Left".

I respond to the post, not the poster's name,

And even if someone has a history of posting that way, there's no reason to 'bait' it back.  In that case, the responders are no better than the poster.  And the original post did not show any sort of baiting....it was only when they were challenged later on.  

Post #6 was the pivotal point...'I know you did' was baiting.

Relax.

Take a deep breath.

Unclench.

Forgive.  Forget.  Move on. 

never mind.

Not worth it

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

It's nice that some of us have fond memories.  Usually recalling a more slow-paced time.  When we weren't rushing around in cars.  I enjoyed bus rides everywhere.  Taught me patience.  Leave a bit early, enjoy the ride.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

mominohio, very nicely written it is really something   when someone who was chatting with a family member and puts some of their thoughts on here and bam all he-- breaks out. I also was raised in the 40' and 50's and my Mom did stay home with us kids. When my Mom said she thought she would go to work in a mill my Dad had a fit and told her if she decided she was going to go out to work in a mill he would quit his job in the mill. He wanted to be the bread winner in our family. I do have good memories when we were young how we would all pile into the station wagon and go for ice cream or just to different parks all was family. There were plenty of rules for us  but the memories are price less. Riding the bus to go to church when my Dad had the car at work. Or getting up at 4am to go to mass with my Dad before he went to work. Family get togethers with 40 aunts, uncles, cousins all squashed in to one home.

Respected Contributor

So we should all wax nostalgic?  Okay.  I used to ride on a bus to school, to work, to shop. I remember the winter months during a snowfall, waiting on a corner for a bus to show up, freezing my you know what off only to discover later that they discontinued service, so I schlepped my ice covered self back home.

And wonderful summers before air conditioning afforded a working person a decent night's sleep.

And then there's the situations we've seen posted here by women who never worked outside the home and through some misfortune, whether it was divorce, spouse's illness, etc., found themselves destitute and untrained to enter the work force.  

Do many of us look back fondly on our childhood years?  Hopefully, yes.  However, it was our parents who were the ones worrying and struggling and unless we were exceptionally astute for our ages, we played until dusk, unaware of their struggles.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was born in the late 60's. Choices my parents made definitely played a role regarding how I would raise children IF I had them (I did). My memories?

*Boarding school as my dad traveled for work for weeks up to a year sometimes and my mother had no interest in being a mother (though she did love her socialite activities).

*Seeing the world due to boarding school and oppurtunities my dads' salary provided.

*Knowing the you respected your elders, acted with concern and knew my manners.

*Didn't have to worry about being videotaped and then having the world see it and comment on it.

*Playing outside with neighborhood kids and watching TV ONLY on Saturday mornings.

The overall attitude is meaner, rawer, more hateful today then I can remember growing up...the big thing being of acting self-entitled...when the HECK did THAT start?! Kids and adults showing no respect for anyone..not even themselves.

Today, the lifestyle of my parents is a pipedream for DH and I. Same for the way he was raised..one income does nothing like what it did back then. Insurance seems tocover less and less, retirment funds/pensions are gone, a cheap car is $20,000 plus, there is no public transportation where we live and house prices are disgustingly high for ******.

These are some of the things I look back upon and go..."I wish".

Honored Contributor

I miss 'School House Rock'...those tunes were so catchy!