Honored Contributor

Re: The digital interview - anyone experienced this?

I find this very scary and just plain rude.  But I guess todays young people feel different.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Today's generation, the Selfie generation, are always on camera, so a digital interview for them is just one long instagram video ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35, I like your idea to do it in pursuit of the experience.  Also love your last comment😁!  LM

Trusted Contributor

Just to clarify -- I'm not hesitant to do the digital interview because of technology. I'm very adaptable and not intimidated by technology. My objections are more concerned with ethics, privacy, and the overall philosphy of its use to limit human interaction and exploration of potential fit for all parties. Can't ask questions, your video is ranked and viewed by people "behind the curtain" as your video is passed around, and there is no two-way interaction. Doesn't give a first impression that the company  views people as having any value, and it's certainly not a very professional approach to evaluate candidate or employer.

There are also issues with the job itself, so I am withdrawing my candidacy for many reasons.

Esteemed Contributor

@LonestarBabs  Exactly, that's what I don't like about it.

Honored Contributor

I look at it as taking unconscious bias out of the selection process.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

@VaBelle35  There are many ways this technology can introduce bias, although the salespeople for the product will tell you otherwise. It's lazy HR, penny-pinching management sold a bill of goods by a third party vendor, and companies that don't focus on human capital all trying to protect themselves. "it's not us -- it's the algorithm."

No way do I want a video of myself talking to no one passed around for review by anonymous people for an unknown length of time and in an unspecified manner of distribution. Not unless you pay me for it! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

This type of technology is being used typically by large companies.  It gives several people, who may be in different parts of the country, the opportunity to review your qualifications.  Algorithms routine review resumes so this is probably considered a digital resume.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

@CrazyDaisy  Pass around my resume internally or store it on an intranet for centralized access, look at my LinkedIn profile, then I'm happy to videoconference with geographically dispersed hiring managers. Live. And then they can confab afterword, again via live telephone/video chat, to discuss me.

Esteemed Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  Pass around my resume internally or store it on an intranet for centralized access, look at my LinkedIn profile, then I'm happy to videoconference with geographically dispersed hiring managers. Live. And then they can confab afterword, again via live telephone/video chat, to discuss me.

This is the way many companies are going.  A "Live" conference would require all the different people to corrdinate times.  These video interviews allow them to see how well you articulate your responses and present yourself.  It is up to you if you choose to participate or not, however this type of resume/screenings is becomeing very popular.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.