Trusted Contributor

The digital interview - anyone experienced this?

[ Edited ]

I have been asked to participate in a digital interview as part of the hiring process at a large Fortune company. No human interaction -- you sit in front of your device with camera and microphone activated and and answer programmed questions within a certain # of minutes. Your facial expressions, body language, and vocal inflections are assessed. A dashboard is created comparing you against other candidates using artificial intelligence algorithms, and the hiring team(s) can then play back your responses and share their opinions within the dashboard.  If your responses and demeanor are aligned with "match criteria" defined by the employer you could then be asked for additional in-person or phone interviews.

Has anyone experienced this approach?

Honored Contributor

Re: The digital interview - anyone experienced this?

That’s interesting but no. I’ve been retired two years so maybe that’s new. 

Honored Contributor

Wow...sci fi stuff.  I've heard about it but my company isn't that technologically  sophisticated when it comes to hiring.  However, 100% of 1st and 2nd interviews with potential candidates are virtual  online now with pre-determined questions and talking points. Interviewers can ask their own questions but they must cover the talking points.  A face to face interviewed is only scheduled when a manager or director is  fairly certain or definitely going to offer the candidate the job.  At 57, I never liked or felt comfortable sitting at a computer and interviewing someone who could be a mile away or 2000 miles away.  

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree  I'm fine with online interviews, a two-way conversation of some type via video chat/Skype, etc.  I've already been scheduled for a live phone interview, but just received the request for the digital interview. I'm back in the market for a full-time job after finishing my PhD, so I guess I'd better get used to this approach. I just want another 5 years or so of full-time, and then plan to transition to part-time or retirement.

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabswrote:

@chrystaltree  I'm fine with online interviews, a two-way conversation of some type via video chat/Skype, etc.  I've already been scheduled for a live phone interview, but just received the request for the digital interview. I'm back in the market for a full-time job after finishing my PhD, so I guess I'd better get used to this approach. I just want another 5 years or so of full-time, and then plan to transition to part-time or retirement.

Yes indeed.  As they say....the future is now.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess it sure beats having to get dressed up, going out in the sweltering heat, finding a parking place, looking for an address etc. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A friend's daughter graduated from college and applied for a job with an National IT Company and they did a digital interview, and then a phone interview....At first we were a bit concerned because we thought maybe its some sort of a scam ....but its legit and she got the job.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Keep in mind, this is an inexpensive way for companies to conduct interviews, vs. flying someone in & doing a face-to-face. I've been asked but my decision was if they are this cheap than expect the same from the culture & job. No thank you. 

Trusted Contributor

There are definite pros and cons to this. Believe, me I'm a bit conflicted...you are all raising some good points.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, DS just had one. 

A recruiter for a Fortune 100 company contacted him on Linkedin. In his industry this is common.

This was followed by a short phone interview with the recruiter who described the process for the digital interview. He completed the digital interview but wasn't hired.

The recruiter did get back to him and said this was a new process for this company and was getting mixed reviews about how effective it is.