Honored Contributor

Re: The cost of an education

If this thread is only about nursing and the cost of college to become a nurse, I have nothing to add.

If it's about the overall cost of college; here is my opinion"

It's costs too much Yes, it should have increased over the years but not to the point it is now. Not everyone who goes to college graduates but the debt is still there; good luck paying it off if you can't get employed. Somewhere a college degree replaced a high school degree for entry level jobs; not sure why, but it did. Let's not forget this either:

Only 34% of the ENTIRE population will go to college. That's down from 36% of a few years ago; the theory is it's due to the economy and people not willing or able to go into debt for a college degree. So, instead of discussing how much it is or my kids' major, I want to discuss what is the other 66% going to do for a job as more and more are replaced by automation. And yes, any job can be automated; don't fool yourself. THAT'S what I think needs to be discussed.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

If this thread is only about nursing and the cost of college to become a nurse, I have nothing to add.

It's costs too much Yes, it should have increased over the years but not to the point it is now. Not everyone who goes to college graduates but the debt is still there; good luck paying it off if you can't get employed. Somewhere a college degree replaced a high school degree for entry level jobs; not sure why, but it did. Let's not forget this either:

Only 34% of the ENTIRE population will go to college. That's down from 36% of a few years ago; the theory is it's due to the economy and people not willing or able to go into debt for a college degree. So, instead of discussing how much it is or my kids' major, I want to discuss what is the other 66% going to do for a job as more and more are replaced by automation. And yes, any job can be automated; don't fool yourself. THAT'S what I think needs to be discussed.

First I think people need to decide what they want to get out of a college education before they go into debt.

There are many good options available that are not being taken advantage ot by todays young people.  There are trades begging for workers.  Where I am working we have a big project this weekend, we are pulling Millwrights from 4 surrounding states trying to get enough people.  These jobs are very well paying jobs, no one wants them because it is hard work.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

First I think people need to decide what they want to get out of a college education before they go into debt.

There are many good options available that are not being taken advantage ot by todays young people.  There are trades begging for workers.  Where I am working we have a big project this weekend, we are pulling Millwrights from 4 surrounding states trying to get enough people.  These jobs are very well paying jobs, no one wants them because it is hard work.

@CrazyDaisy  I agree with you 100%. There's been a huge shift in the US away from trade schools and that was, IMHO, the biggest mistake we made. Instead, it was all about getting a college degree and being set for life. Well, depending on your field, maybe that's true. But I know more who are not. I watched as my son and his friends have all stressed as to what to major in because they're not sure but they must go to college (except my son...he's working for a year first). I hear parents who are ****** because of the money they've spent on college or co-signed a loan and now their son or daughter (s) can't find jobs unless they get a Masters in the field so more money ....or are at home and working in jobs that pay minimum wage and are dead end. A college degree is not a guarantee to the "good life" so stop selling it as if it is. There ARE other options.

Honored Contributor

I can never tell if OP thinks nursing is a good or bad profession to get into.  I’d hate to think you spent your life working in job that didn’t suit you. 

Respected Contributor

Re: The cost of an education Then & now

Where we are the Great Recession didnt end in 2009. Try 2014.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Students wishing to minimize debt should look into grants and scholarships at community colleges, which are more affordable than 4 year schools.  If they do good work, they can take on two more years for a Bachelor's degree at a state or public university for the lowest rates possible.  (Some online universities are much higher than a state school, though I am not saying that they are a waste of time, if a student is housebound and the SU options are limited in distance learning options. Beware of for-profit places--or at least check their 4-year graduation rates.)

If you just  want knowledge and _education_ I believe that MIT has put a lot of its STEM courses online free--but there won't be a teacher to help you through the difficult patches. There won't be a degree at the end.  I will be taking those when I retire, as I don't want my brain to shrink more than age requires.   Smiley Happy

My BA degree is in the Arts as well as the Humanities--I was a double major, and back then it didn't cost more to take more courses. I have never been without a job, although at the beginning they didn't pay that well. At this point they do, which is why I don't retire. 

Everyone's path is different.  I do wish people would get comfortable with the idea that a 17 yr old (my age when I entered college) is not going to be sure what they want as a life's work.  My parents wanted me to decide and I did, but it took all four years. I applied to grad schools in two different fields (at my own expense).

And I've really enjoyed my job, all these years, so much that I don't want to retire. Young people should do what they love, but be prepared to live on peanut butter in the lean times.  Tuna casserole was my company dish for years. My friends were all in the same boat and we were happy.

Did I have debt?  Yes, and it took me to age forty to pay it off.  It was just like a mortgage: I had made an investment in my future, and it paid off.

Can people do that today?  I don't know.  It worked for me back in the day, though, and the rate on student loans back then was higher than they are now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Burnsite  Excellent and accurate post. Thanks.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

My mom in lieu of inheritance, invested in a college fund for each of the grandkids. Those things grow!  An original investment of 60,000 is close to 180,000 over the years.  

I agree with posters who said college is responsibility of parents.  Its what you do for your kids, if you able.  Even if it a small fund saved, it is what you can afford and it is something for your kids to start with.  I have a grand who is so smart, and focused,she received total full scholarship. The whole enchilada at a University with dorm and spending money. And she has a nice fund saved.  But she will need it as she wants a PHD.  I have other grands who struggled ,and some college money was used for tutoring, another private school for a while.  One may not go to college, but a trade school...but that costs a fortune as well.

i think parents should offer their child a college education or trade school.   when they are done with the 5 years.....

they are on their own.  They never can say they weren't given the chance.

i do realize there are are families who just cant.  But to me, if they can afford yearly disney vacations, luxury gifts and such, they can afford to put a few bucks a month away.  Jmho

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekittyYour mom was a very wise woman. Finally, someone who understands saving for the future! Great post.

I've read on here how other's spend inheritances, which boggles my mind. Our family has never, ever done that. The money continues to grow for each generation. It's in a Trust Fund and we ADD to it. Imagine that? 

I cannot fathom those who are Disneyland Parents and provide their kids with cars, but don't prepare for their children's education. Makes no sense to me. Why would any responsible parent want to see their child begin with debt of any kind? It's crazy!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

My older son works in a trade, younger son has a Masters. Both work very hard and both love what they do.  

But there’s no comparison in salaries and benefits. Younger son makes quite a bit more.  In addition, he has health coverage and retirement investments through his job.  Older son has neither of these.